Dodgers rout Braves to take 2-1 series leadOct 7, 2013 - 5:21 AM Los Angeles, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Hanley Ramirez finished a home run shy of the cycle while knocking in two runs and scoring three times, as the Los Angeles Dodgers used a pair of four-run frames to take a 13-6 triumph over the Atlanta Braves in Game 3 of this Division Series from Dodger Stadium.
Carl Crawford clubbed a three-run homer and scored three times, Juan Uribe belted a two-run shot and scored twice, and Yasiel Puig collected three hits, two RBI and three runs scored for the Dodgers, who bounced back from Friday's 4-3 setback to take a 2-1 lead in this best-of-five set and move within one win of a trip to the National League Championship Series.
LA's offensive outburst offset a shaky postseason debut from rookie Hyun-Jin Ryu, who allowed four runs on six hits in just three innings of work.
Fellow left-hander Chris Capuano (1-0) came on in relief and kept Atlanta at bay, spinning three hitless innings to pick up the win.
"Cappy (Capuano) was the key to settling the game down," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "Crawford's home run was huge for us. It's one win. It's over. We have a chance to close it out tomorrow night."
The Dodgers did most of their damage against Atlanta starter Julio Teheran (0-1), tagging the rookie right-hander for six runs on eight hits over 2 2/3 frames.
"I didn't have my best," Teheran admitted. "It was one of those games. I made a couple of mistakes that I had to pay for. I think I tried to do too much."
Jason Heyward hit a two-run homer and Chris Johnson drove in two runs for the Braves, who will look to extend their season for another day when they send right-hander Freddy Garcia to the hill for Game 4 on Monday.
The Braves jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first behind RBI singles from Evan Gattis and Johnson, but the Dodgers plated four runs in the second to pull ahead.
Puig and Uribe opened the frame with back-to-back singles before a one-out walk to A.J. Ellis loaded the bases for Ryu, who punched a sacrifice fly to right to score Puig and bring the Dodgers within a run.
Crawford then put his team in front, stroking a 2-2 slider over the right- field wall to provide the Dodgers with a 4-2 lead.
"I think it was a slider," Crawford said of his homer. "I was just trying to get a base hit."
Atlanta answered promptly in the third, opening the inning with three straight singles to load the bases with no outs.
Brian McCann followed with a sharp grounder to first that Adrian Gonzalez smothered before firing to second to start a double play, but Ryu couldn't find the first-base bag as he caught the relay throw from Ramirez, allowing Justin Upton to score and leaving runners on the corners.
Johnson then tapped a slow roller down the first-base line that Ryu fielded, but instead of getting the sure out at first, the rookie hurler fired to the plate late, and Freddie Freeman slid in safely to tie the game.
Gonzalez quickly gave the lead back to the Dodgers in the home half, following Ramirez's leadoff double with a base hit to left to score the LA shortstop for a 5-4 lead.
Puig followed with a sharp grounder to third that Johnson snared before firing to second to start a double play, but Elliot Johnson's relay throw to first skipped past Freeman, allowing Puig to race into second.
After Uribe fanned, Skip Schumaker singled to left to score Puig for a 6-4 lead.
The Dodgers erupted for four more runs in the fourth to put the game out of reach, with Ramirez ripping a one-out triple off the wall in left-center to score Crawford, who reached on an error to start the inning.
Following a Gonzalez strikeout, Puig singled to center to plate Ramirez before trotting home on Uribe's shot to right to make it 10-4.
LA tacked on three more in the eighth, as Ramirez, Gonzalez and Puig stroked consecutive RBI singles to extend the lead to 13-4.
Heyward homered in the ninth to account for the final margin.
The 13 runs scored by the Dodgers tied for the most in a postseason game in franchise history, matching the mark set in Game 2 of the 1956 World Series ... Right-hander Ricky Nolasco gets the ball for the Dodgers in Game 4 ... Crawford recorded his fourth career postseason home run ... The 22-year-old Teheran become the youngest Braves pitcher to start a postseason game since Steve Avery in 1992 ... Ryu became the first South Korean pitcher to start a postseason game in MLB history ... Atlanta finished 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- ATLANTA: 6
LOS ANGELES: 13
Oct 7 12:10 AM
- Jason Heyward one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Reed Johnson. Justin Upton due up.
Braves 6, Dodgers 13 Top 9, 1 OutOct 6 11:58 PM
- Yasiel Puig singled to right scored Hanley Ramirez. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 13 Bot 8, 2 OutsOct 6 11:46 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez infield single to second scored Mark Ellis. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Yasiel Puig due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 12 Bot 8, 2 OutsOct 6 11:44 PM
- Hanley Ramirez singled to left scored Carl Crawford. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsOct 6 11:39 PM
- Juan Uribe two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Yasiel Puig. Skip Schumaker due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 10 Bot 4, 2 OutsOct 6 10:11 PM
- Yasiel Puig singled to center scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on first with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsOct 6 10:09 PM
- Hanley Ramirez tripled to center scored Carl Crawford. Runner on third with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 7 Bot 4, 1 OutOct 6 10:04 PM
- Skip Schumaker singled to left scored Yasiel Puig. Runner on first with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsOct 6 9:35 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to left scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on first with none out and Yasiel Puig due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsOct 6 9:27 PM
- Chris Johnson reached on a fielder's choice to pitcher scored Freddie Freeman. On the play, Brian McCann advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Andrelton Simmons due up.
Braves 4, Dodgers 4 Top 3, 1 OutOct 6 9:20 PM
- Brian McCann grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Justin Upton. Evan Gattis out at second. Freddie Freeman advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Johnson due up.
Braves 3, Dodgers 4 Top 3, 1 OutOct 6 9:17 PM
- Carl Crawford two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Juan Uribe and A.J. Ellis. Mark Ellis due up.
Braves 2, Dodgers 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsOct 6 8:57 PM
- Hyun-Jin Ryu sacrifice fly out to right scored Yasiel Puig. On the play, Juan Uribe advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Braves 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsOct 6 8:55 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to center scored Evan Gattis. On the play, Brian McCann advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Andrelton Simmons due up.
Braves 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsOct 6 8:18 PM
- Evan Gattis singled to center scored Justin Upton. Runner on first with two outs and Brian McCann due up.
Braves 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsOct 6 8:14 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Oct 6 8:10 PM
- KingHockeyMan WHOA! Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'll go w/the Braves. Why? A better team. It may be possible for the LADodgers to win 3 in a row. But against the ABraves? I doubt that. Stranger things have happened in baseball. But I got the braves tonight. :-)... .
Braves vs. DodgersOct 6 2:38 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22