Reds-Mets rained out; will play two SaturdayMay 10, 2008 - 1:32 AM FLUSHING, New York (Ticker) -- The New York Mets are hoping the rain will cool off rookie Joey Votto and the red-hot Cincinnati Reds.
The Reds' series opener against the Mets was rained out on Friday, setting up a day-night doubleheader Saturday.
As a result, Votto will have to wait until 1:10 p.m. EDT to try and build off one of the best games of his young career. The 24-year-old first baseman blasted three of the Reds' seven home runs in a 9-0 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday.
A second-round pick in 2002, Votto may be hard-pressed to duplicate the feat in a pitchers' ballpark against two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana (3-2).
Santana, who has allowed eight earned runs in his last 25 2/3 innings, will be opposed by Friday's scheduled starter Matt Belisle (1-2) in Saturday's first game.
Santana may face a Reds' lineup missing two key cogs, as both Ken Griffey Jr. and Brandon Phillips were scratched from Friday's lineup prior to the postponement. Phillips is suffering from a calf injury, while Griffey is dealing with an illness.
Griffey is three shy of becoming the sixth player in major league history to hit 600 home runs.
Saturday's second game is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m., with Cincinnati's Bronson Arroyo (1-4) facing New York's Mike Pelfrey (2-2).
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21