Mets-Rangers game postponedJun 15, 2008 - 3:23 AM FLUSHING, New York (Ticker) -- Severe thunderstorms in the New York area forced the postponement of Saturday's scheduled interleague contest between the New York Mets and Texas Rangers.
The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Sunday, with the first game scheduled for a 1:10 p.m. EDT start.
The Rangers players celebrated the rainout by sliding on the wet tarp covering the infield at the behest of second baseman Ian Kinsler and outfielder Milton Bradley.
"If you want to get on SportsCenter, you might as well do it," Bradley said.
Josh Hamilton, Michael Young, Gerald Laird and Josh Rupe joined Bradley and Kinsler in the fun.
"We were having some fun," Young said. "All I heard was, 'Tarp slide! Tarp slide!' I couldn't get my cleats off fast enough."
The sliding brought cheers from the Shea Stadium crowd, which chanted "Let's go Rangers" as the players splashed through the puddles.
"It was spontaneous, guys blowing off steam and having fun," Texas general manager Jon Daniels said. "No damage, nobody got hurt. It's not too often you get 'Let's Go Rangers!' in Queens."
"I've done that before," Kinsler said. "Didn't you see my form? I was trying to get somebody to go over the mound, but there were no takers."
Pedro Martinez was scheduled to start Saturday night for the Mets and will be pushed back to the nightcap on Sunday, with John Maine taking the mound in the first game.
The Rangers will counter with Kevin Millwood in the first game and lefthander Kason Gabbard in the nightcap.
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22