Rockies rally past BrewersJul 29, 2013 - 1:08 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Michael Cuddyer drove in the tying run in the eighth inning and scored on Nolan Arenado's base hit as the Colorado Rockies rallied for a 6-5 win over the Milwaukee Brewers in the rubber match of the three-game series.
The Rockies earned a split of their 10-game homestand by belting four solo homers and getting a pair of runs off John Axford (4-4) after blowing a 4-3 lead in the eighth inning.
Troy Tulowitzki, Corey Dickerson and Cuddyer each homered off Brewers starter Donovan Hand, and Dexter Fowler took Michael Gonzalez just over wall in right- center to break a 3-3 tie with two outs in the seventh.
"We were able to come up in big situations, and come through in those situations. We had four solo home runs and at the end we came through with guys in scoring position," said Cuddyer.
Jhoulys Chacin was in line for the victory after allowing three runs on eight hits over seven quality innings, but Matt Belisle (5-5) gave up a one-out double to Carlos Gomez and hung a 2-2 slider that Yuniesky Betancourt hammered over the wall in left-center for his 11th home run of the season.
Colorado answered in its half of the eighth, as Tulowitzki led off with a double and scored on Cuddyer's two-bagger down the first-base line.
Cuddyer moved to third on a wild pitch, Arenado singled through the middle to push across the go-ahead run, and Rex Brothers tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his seventh save.
Jeff Bianchi went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI while Norichika Aoki added a solo homer for the Brewers, who have dropped five of their last seven.
Hand, in his fifth career start, served up a home run to Tulowitzki in the first inning and was cruising before getting tagged for two more solo blasts in the sixth.
Dickerson led off the inning with his first career homer and Cuddyer cleared the wall in right-center to even the game at 3-3.
Bianchi's bases-loaded hit off Chacin's glove in the first inning knocked in Gomez, Aoki sent one into the bullpen beyond the right-field wall in the third and Bianchi tacked on an RBI single in the fourth.
"Sometimes you just face some guys that know what they're doing and you lose because of it, but I like the way we played," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Hand was charged with three runs on eight hits over six innings ... Dickerson homered in his 37th career at-bat ... Rockies first baseman Todd Helton recorded his first triple of the season in the fourth inning ... The Rockies won the season series, 4-2.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
Jul 28 6:53 PM
- Nolan Arenado single to center scored Michael Cuddyer with one out. Runner on first and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Brewers 5, Rockies 6 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 28 6:37 PM
- Michael Cuddyer double to right scored Troy Tulowitzki with none out. Runner on second and Todd Helton due up.
Brewers 5, Rockies 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 28 6:34 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Carlos Gomez. Juan Francisco due up.
Brewers 5, Rockies 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 28 6:22 PM
- Dexter Fowler two-out, solo Home Run (12) to right. Corey Dickerson due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 28 6:11 PM
- Michael Cuddyer one-out, solo Home Run (17) to right center. Todd Helton due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 5:51 PM
- Corey Dickerson lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 28 5:48 PM
- Jeff Bianchi single to left scored Caleb Gindl with two out. Runner on first and Donovan Hand due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 28 5:10 PM
- Norichika Aoki one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 1 Top 3, 1 OutJul 28 4:47 PM
- Jeff Bianchi single to short, deflected by the pitcher, scored Carlos Gomez with one out. On the play, Juan Francisco advanced to second and Caleb Gindl advanced to third. Bases loaded and Donovan Hand due up.
Brewers 1, Rockies 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 28 4:34 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, solo Home Run (19) to left. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 28 4:22 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 4:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21