Howard, Magic dominate winless WizardsJan 5, 2012 - 6:55 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Dwight Howard scored 28 points and pulled down 20 rebounds to lead the Magic to a 103-85 wire-to-wire dismantling of the Wizards on Wednesday.
Ryan Anderson chipped in with 23 points and 15 boards and Hedo Turkoglu poured in 14 to give Orlando its fifth win of the season. J.J. Redick scored 14 off the bench.
"You know when you play a team like the Wizards that have a lot of offensive talent, but maybe aren't as good defensively, you want to take advantage of getting stops," Redick said.
Nick Young scored 17 and John Wall had 14 points and five assists for Washington, which is still searching for its first win.
The Magic went up 31-14 after one quarter using a 9-0 run to open the frame and a 14-8 run to close it.
"To start off 0-for-12 against a team like that, that plays great at home, it's tough," Wall said.
Orlando was able to stretch its lead grew to 21 several times in the second quarter highlighted by a ferocious Howard alley-oop slam at the 2:19 mark. A pair for Washington jumpers at the end of the half cut the deficit to 56-38.
The the theme remained constant in the third as the Magic continued to pour it on, taking a 23-point lead by the quarters end. Two Young free throws pulled the Wizards within 18 at 71-53 but Orlando outscored Washington 12-7 over the next 5 1/2 minutes to take an 83-60 lead into the final stanza.
The Wizards managed to outscore the Magic 25-20 in the fourth but it wasn't nearly enough as Orlando cruised to its fifth win of the season.
The Magic have won seven straight against the Wizards...Orlando dominated in the paint, outscoring Washington 48-32 inside...Anderson continued to light it up for the Magic connecting on 3-of-5 shots from beyond the arc...Andray Blatche has 10 points for the Wizards.
- WASHINGTON: 85
Jan 4 9:18 PM
- WASHINGTON: 60
End of 3rd
Jan 4 8:47 PM
- WASHINGTON: 38
Jan 4 8:07 PM
- WASHINGTON: 14
End of 1st
Jan 4 7:37 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 4 7:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21