Nene works his magic, Wizards rout NetsMar 22, 2012 - 3:55 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Nene made his Wizards debut on Wednesday night. He scored 22 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and Washington routed the Nets, 108-89.
Jordan Crawford had a game-high 23 points while Roger Mason Jr. added 16 for the Wizards, who acquired Nene from Denver at the trade deadline and halted a two-game slide with Wednesday's win.
"He is a proven vet who has played in very high-stake games," said Wizards coach Randy Wittman. "He knows how to play."
Kris Humphries finished with 13 points and 16 rebounds for the Nets, losers of four straight. Deron Williams scored 17 points but was ejected in the third quarter, as was head coach Avery Johnson.
Williams and Johnson both received double technical fouls and were ejected with 5:18 remaining in the quarter.
Crawford made all four of the resulting foul shots and John Wall followed with a dunk, capping a 12-0 Wizards run which stretched their advantage to 78-64, marking their largest lead of the game to that point.
The Nets responded with six straight, but the margin was back to double-digits shortly thereafter on a pair of Wall free throws. Washington was up, 84-72, at end of the quarter and was not tested in the fourth.
The Wizards also started strong, leading 33-25 after one quarter before the Nets rallied to pull within 56-53 at the break.
"Deron is one of the most competitive guys that I've been around," said Nets guard Anthony Morrow. "Any time you feel like you are playing hard or competing...calls aren't going your way, tempers tend to flare up."
The Wizards acquired Nene, Brian Cook and a future second-round pick from Denver in exchange for JaVale McGee, Ronny Turiaf and Nick Young in a three- team trade last Thursday...Nets guard Jordan Farmar missed his fourth straight game with a strained right groin...Forward Andray Blatche remained out for the Wizards due to poor conditioning.
- WASHINGTON: 108
NEW JERSEY: 89
Mar 21 9:50 PM
- WASHINGTON: 84
NEW JERSEY: 72
End of 3rd
Mar 21 9:21 PM
- WASHINGTON: 56
NEW JERSEY: 53
Mar 21 8:38 PM
- WASHINGTON: 33
NEW JERSEY: 25
End of 1st
Mar 21 8:10 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 21 7:42 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21
- Nets hire Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson as new coach Apr 17
- Company of Russian owner of Brooklyn Nets searched in Moscow Apr 15