Nash, Suns strike down HawksFeb 7, 2012 - 5:43 AM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Steve Nash scored 24 points and handed out 11 assists, as the Phoenix Suns downed the Atlanta Hawks, 99-90 at Philips Arena.
Channing Frye contributed 19 points and nine rebounds, while Michael Redd and Jared Dudley each netted 10 for the Suns, winners in three of their last four.
"We're starting to play better," Frye said. "We just have to continue getting out and running and being unselfish."
The Hawks, coming off a 5-1 stretch, have dropped three straight to open a four-game homestand. Josh Smith and Joe Johnson totaled 18 and 17 points, respectively in defeat.
Willie Green scored 12 of his 14 points in the fourth quarter, helping Atlanta trim its 84-64 deficit entering the frame to nine, 94-85, with just over three minutes left.
Frye hit a three-pointer to restore the double digit lead, and his putback slam the next time down essentially put an end to Atlanta's comeback bid.
"I think every team is going to go through a tough stretch and right now we're going through one," Green said.
Nash scored 10 points in the first quarter en route to a 27-23 lead that swelled to 43-27 following a 14-2 run early in the second.
Atlanta pulled within 55-48 at halftime, and was as close as two before allowing the Suns to end the third quarter on a 24-6 flurry.
In the final minute alone, Markieff Morris drained a three-pointer, Marcin Gortat threw down a dunk and Redd hit a jumper off a turnover to build a 20- point cushion that was too much for the hosts to overcome.
The Suns have won four straight meetings against the Hawks...Phoenix won the battle on the glass, 45-35, and made 11 three-pointers...Atlanta shot 6-of-24 from behind the arc...Atlanta ends its homestand against the Pacers on Wednesday...The Hawks outscored the Suns at the foul line, 18-6.
- PHOENIX: 99
Feb 6 9:43 PM
- PHOENIX: 84
End of 3rd
Feb 6 9:13 PM
- PHOENIX: 55
Feb 6 8:36 PM
- PHOENIX: 27
End of 1st
Feb 6 8:03 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Feb 6 7:41 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7