Jazz take down NuggetsJan 16, 2012 - 7:49 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Paul Millsap had 26 points and 12 rebounds, as the Jazz downed the Nuggets, 106-96, on Sunday.
Gordon Hayward scored 19 and Al Jefferson had 18 and 12 boards for the Jazz, winners of seven of their last eight.
Danilo Gallinari and Nene both finished with 18 points to pace the Nuggets, who were coming off Friday's win over the Heat.
"I guess we didn't play hard enough," said Nuggets forward Al Harrington. "We didn't match their intensity."
The teams were deadlocked, 48-48, after a back-and-forth first half which featured 13 ties and nine lead changes. The Jazz, though, began to establish themselves after the break.
Hayward's dunk gave them a 67-62 with 4 1/2 minutes remaining in the third. Utah maintained a five-point advantage until the closing seconds of the quarter, when Corey Brewer drained a pair of foul shots to pull Denver within three. But Alec Burks answered on the other end, drawing a foul on a baseline drive and hitting 1-of-2 free throws to make it 77-73.
Early in the fourth, Gallinari's trey pulled Denver within two, but Millsap scored six straight to put Utah up 87-79. Millsap continued to keep the Nuggets at bay, hitting a putback layup for a 91-81 lead and later stretching the advantage to 12 with a fadeaway baseline jumper.
Denver trailed 102-95 with under two minutes remaining, but Ty Lawson was called for an offensive foul and Hayward made a layup on the other end to put the game away.
"I just found a zone," said Millsap. "My teammates did a good job of finding me and I just knocked down shots."
The Nuggets saw their two-game win streak come to an end...Utah had lost six of its last seven games in Denver prior to Sunday...Nuggets swingman Rudy Fernandez left the game with a sprained Achilles.
- UTAH: 106
Jan 15 10:27 PM
- UTAH: 77
End of 3rd
Jan 15 9:52 PM
- UTAH: 48
Jan 15 9:10 PM
- UTAH: 25
End of 1st
Jan 15 8:37 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 15 8:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Kobe scores 60 points in unbelievable farewell victory Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- Warriors' chase, Kobe's finale highlight NBA's final night Apr 13
- Nuggets-Trail Blazers Preview Apr 13
- Improved Kemba Walker has Hornets back in the playoffs Apr 12