Love leads Timberwolves past SpursJan 3, 2012 - 4:38 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Kevin Love scored 24 points and grabbed 15 rebounds, as the Timberwolves downed the Spurs, 106-96, on Monday.
Michael Beasley and Luke Ridnour both had 19 points for the Timberwolves, who halted a 16-game losing streak to San Antonio. They had not defeated the Spurs since January 3, 2007.
San Antonio, which is 0-2 on the road this season, lost guard Manu Ginobili in the second quarter with a fractured fifth metacarpal in his left hand. He will be further evaluated tomorrow. Richard Jefferson and Tim Duncan both scored 16 points to pace the team.
Minnesota has now won two straight after a starting the season 0-3.
"They are a young, talented team," said Jefferson. "They have a lot of new weapons. Tonight was an offensive battle, they were shooting the ball well."
The Timberwolves were particularly hot from beyond the arc. Love hit 3-of-4 treys en route to a 35-25 lead after one quarter. Jefferson matched Love in the second, going 3-of-4 from three-point range, but Minnesota hung on for a 66-59 lead at the break and pulled away in the third.
A 69.2 percent clip from the field, including a 4-of-6 effort from downtown, saw the Timberwolves' lead reach 17 in the third. The Spurs, meanwhile, cooled, shooting 36.4 percent and hitting just 2-of-6 threes.
Minnesota never trailed in the fourth.
"We feel great with how things are going," said Love. "We just need to keep improving."
Timberwolves guard Ricky Rubio had six points on 3-of-8 shooting and added three assists...Ginobili scored eight points before exiting...Spurs guard Tony Parker had 11 points and nine assists.
- SAN ANTONIO: 96
Jan 2 10:15 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 80
End of 3rd
Jan 2 9:44 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 59
Jan 2 9:01 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 25
End of 1st
Jan 2 8:31 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 2 8:10 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15