Parker, Spurs get past Howard's MagicMar 15, 2012 - 6:41 AM San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Tony Parker had 31 points and 12 assists, helping the Southwest Division-leading San Antonio Spurs hold off the Orlando Magic, 122-111.
Tim Duncan added 21 points and 13 rebounds for the Spurs, who went 4-3 on a seven-game homestand. Manu Ginobili tallied 14 points.
Dwight Howard had 22 points and 12 boards after making headlines before the game. The All-Star center has reportedly informed Orlando that he will not waive his Early Termination Option. Thus, he would become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
"They know how I feel," said Howard. "I've expressed that to the ownership and it's on them now."
Jameer Nelson ended with 25 points and seven assists for the Magic, who had a three-game winning streak snapped. Ryan Anderson and Hedo Turkoglu donated 19 and 17 points, respectively.
The Magic raced out to an 18-8 lead, but the Spurs came back to take a 36-35 edge after 12 minutes of action.
Neither team led by more than four in the second period, which ended with San Antonio holding a 59-58 margin.
The game remained tight in the third stanza, but Ginobili made back-to-back three-pointers near the end of the quarter for an 87-82 Spurs lead. It was 89-84 heading to the fourth.
"It's great to have Manu out there. He hit some big shots for us," Duncan said. "It looks like he's getting that rhythm back."
Trailing by one, 96-95, with 8:23 to play, the home team went on a 10-2 run. Parker tallied six points during the flurry, including a jumper with 5 1/2 minutes left for a 105-98 margin.
Parker scored 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting in the fourth frame to help preserve the victory.
The Spurs have won four of five over the Magic...San Antonio improved to 17-4 at home this season...Orlando sharpshooter Jason Richardson missed his third straight game with a sprained left ankle...The Spurs went 23-of-27 from the foul line, while the Magic went 10-of-16 from the charity stripe.
- ORLANDO: 111
SAN ANTONIO: 122
Mar 14 10:54 PM
- ORLANDO: 84
SAN ANTONIO: 89
End of 3rd
Mar 14 10:21 PM
- ORLANDO: 58
SAN ANTONIO: 59
Mar 14 9:39 PM
- ORLANDO: 35
SAN ANTONIO: 36
End of 1st
Mar 14 9:10 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 2
1st Quarter - 11:51
Mar 14 8:42 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13