Pacers use balanced attack to beat CelticsJan 7, 2012 - 5:08 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Danny Granger led six Pacers in double-figures with 15 points, and Indiana put the clamps on the Celtics en route to an 87-74 victory at TD Garden.
Darren Collison had 14 points, George Hill added 13 and Roy Hibbert put up 11 points and 12 rebounds for Indiana, which held Boston to 39 percent shooting and improved to 5-2 on the young season.
"We really are taking that next step to become a defensive team. We really want it to be our niche," Collison said. "We have a lot of offensive power on our team, but the only are we going to win games and get to where you want to go is on the defensive end."
Ray Allen paced the Celtics with 23 points, Kevin Garnett added 12 points and six rebounds, but the other member of the "Big Three," Paul Pierce, was held to 10 points on 3-of-17 shooting.
"Ray's doing what he does, he knocks down shots so we get him open but unfortunately myself and some other guys didn't step up enough offensively for us to win," Pierce said.
An ugly first half saw the Pacers shoot 4-for-20 in a 14-14 first quarter and the Celtics hit 3-of-18 in the second stanza.
Indiana scored the final eight points of the half to take a 33-25 lead into the break and maintained the eight-point edge heading to the fourth, 63-55.
Allen drained a three-pointer early in the final quarter to pull Boston within 65-60, but Jeff Foster made a hook shot at the other end and Hill hit from behind the arc on Indiana's next two possessions to build to 73-60 cushion.
The closest the Celtics got from there was seven.
Boston had won four in a row coming in...Allen missed Boston's win over the Nets on Wednesday because of the flu...Indiana split its four-game road trip...Indiana snapped a seven-game skid in Boston...Paul George and Tyler Hansbrough each netted 12 points for Indiana...Rajon Rondo had 11 points and nine assists in defeat.
- INDIANA: 87
Jan 6 9:53 PM
- INDIANA: 63
End of 3rd
Jan 6 9:19 PM
- INDIANA: 33
Jan 6 8:34 PM
- INDIANA: 14
End of 1st
Jan 6 8:07 PM
- INDIANA: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 6 7:42 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5
- Indiana Pacers not renewing contract of coach Frank Vogel May 5