Pierce, Celtics roll past NetsMar 3, 2012 - 4:59 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Paul Pierce netted 27 points and dished out eight assists, as Boston rolled to a 107-94 win over New Jersey.
Rajon Rondo, who has been the subject of trade rumors, tallied 14 points, 13 assists and five steals. Kevin Garnett contributed 20 points and 10 rebounds for the Celtics, who beat the Nets for the 17th time in the last 19 meetings.
Chris Wilcox totaled 14 points and Mickael Pietrus scored 11 in Boston's third consecutive victory. The Celtics won despite playing without Ray Allen, who was ill.
"I think we are moving the ball a lot better and hopefully hitting our stride right here at home," Pierce said. "We are playing better basketball."
Brook Lopez had 28 points for the Nets, who failed to build on a one-point win at Dallas on Tuesday.
"We can't play with one arm, we got to be ambidextrous, we got to be balanced and I thought we were balanced in our last game," Nets coach Avery Johnson said. "We didn't have anything going well for us tonight left or right. We weren't very good offensively, we weren't very good defensively."
Pierce had nine points in the opening quarter, helping the Celtics grab a 29-20 lead after 12 minutes. Included in that was a 15-2 spurt, giving the Celtics a 17-6 lead.
A free throw from Lopez cut the margin to 34-30 with 7:02 left in the half, but the Celtics then embarked on an 18-1 push, started by a pair of Pierce foul shots and finished by two from the charity stripe from Pietrus.
Boston held a 58-40 halftime cushion, an 87-71 lead after three and New Jersey never got within single digits in the fourth quarter.
The Celtics turned 20 New Jersey turnovers into 22 points...Nets guard Deron Williams had 12 points and eight assists...Pierce missed just four of his 14 shots from the field...The Nets, who sit last in the Atlantic Division, have lost four in a row and nine of 10 games in Beantown.
- NEW JERSEY: 94
Mar 2 9:54 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 71
End of 3rd
Mar 2 9:24 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 40
Mar 2 8:46 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 20
End of 1st
Mar 2 8:08 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 2 7:41 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27