Rondo, Celtics send Bobcats to 16th straight lossApr 16, 2012 - 3:18 AM Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Rajon Rondo had 20 points and 16 assists on Sunday and the Celtics defeated the Bobcats, 94-82.
Boston, which clinched a playoff berth on Saturday, rested starters Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett in the third night of a back-to-back-to-back road stretch.
Brandon Bass and Avery Bradley had 22 points apiece for the Celtics, who have won 11 of 14. They currently sit in fourth place in the Eastern Conference -- 2 1/2 games behind Indiana -- and lead Philadelphia by four games in the Atlantic Division.
"Rondo was sensational," said Celtics coach Doc Rivers. "He really didn't want to come out of the game."
Gerald Henderson had 22 points for the Bobcats, who tied a season-high with their 16th straight loss. They haven't won since March 17.
Derrick Brown's transition dunk had Charlotte within four, 78-74, with seven minutes remaining before the Celtics put the game away.
Bradley and Mickael Pietrus both hit threes during a 12-2 run which had Boston up 90-76 with just over two minutes to play. Charlotte failed to get within single digits the rest of the way.
"We just couldn't come up with the plays or stops to make a run at the end," Henderson said.
The Celtics started strong as well, leading 34-23 after one and going up by as many as 12 in the second before the Bobcats rallied to make it close, 52-49, at the half.
Rondo scored 16 of his 20 points in the opening half. He has handed out 10- plus assists in 22 straight games.
The Celtics swept the season-series with the Bobcats...Ray Allen missed his fourth straight game with a sore right ankle...Charlotte is the only team in the NBA with single-digit wins (7-52). It also lost 16 in a row from Jan. 16-Feb. 15.
- BOSTON: 94
Apr 15 8:14 PM
- BOSTON: 73
End of 3rd
Apr 15 7:46 PM
- BOSTON: 52
Apr 15 7:04 PM
- BOSTON: 34
End of 1st
Apr 15 6:34 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 15 6:12 PM
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29