Celtics top Magic, claim Atlantic Division crownApr 19, 2012 - 6:04 AM Boston Celtics clinched the Atlantic Division with a 102-98 win over the Magic on Wednesday.
Avery Bradley had 23 points and Brandon Bass added 21 for Boston, which is seeded fourth in the Eastern Conference -- 3 1/2 games behind the Pacers.
"It's a good accomplishment I guess, but all we care about around here is a championship banner," Pierce said about winning the division.
Rajon Rondo did not play in the win due to a sore lower back. He had handed out 10-plus assists in 23 straight games, but Pierce played the distributor, setting a career-high in assists.
Glen Davis had 27 points against his former team and Jameer Nelson finished with 21. The Magic continue to play without Dwight Howard and sit in sixth place in the Eastern Conference -- one game behind the Hawks, who defeated the Pistons on Wednesday.
The Celtics took a 91-78 lead on E'Twaun Moore's three near the midway point of the fourth quarter -- matching their largest lead of the game. But Orlando responded with a 12-1 run, capped by Nelson's transition layup, to pull within two, 92-90.
The Magic were still down two after Davis stole a dribble handoff from Bradley and dunked on the other end with 31.6 seconds left. Pierce responded in vintage fashion, dribbling from right to left before pulling up at the foul line and sinking a jumper for a 100-96 lead.
Nelson made a floater with 3.8 seconds remaining but Pierce sank a pair of free throws to seal the win.
"Offensively we are playing better. I think we are staying together, and we are fighting hard," Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy said. "We are not able to stop anybody right now."
The Celtics were up 33-22 after one and 55-51 at the half. They closed the third with a 10-0 run after Orlando had battled back to take a 70-69 lead.
The Celtics clinched their 30th division title in franchise history...Rondo's 23-game streak is the longest such streak since John Stockton posted 29 straight games from Jan. 25-March 30, 1992...Howard is out indefinitely with a herniated disc in his back.
- ORLANDO: 98
Apr 18 10:41 PM
- ORLANDO: 70
End of 3rd
Apr 18 9:57 PM
- ORLANDO: 22
End of 1st
Apr 18 8:34 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 18 8:10 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29