Wallace, Aldridge pace Blazers over KingsDec 28, 2011 - 6:37 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Gerald Wallace scored 25 and LaMarcus Aldridge added 24 with each player grabbing eight rebounds in Portland's 101-79 triumph over the Sacramento Kings.
Nicolas Batum came off the bench for 15 points for the Trail Blazers, who overcame a 3-of-18 performance from beyond the arc and beat the Kings for the 10th time in their last 11 tries.
DeMarcus Cousins had 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Kings, who were outscored 55-33 in the second half. Sacramento, which won at home over the Lakers Monday night, shot just 37.8 percent from the field.
The downfall for the Kings was poor shooting in the second half. They made just 9-of-38 shots and had 12 turnovers in that time, leading to 20 Portland points.
"We had our moments, the first 16, 18, 20 minutes, then we fell apart," Kings coach Paul Westphal said. "We have to call it what it is. We will get better. I like our team a lot, but this was a step in our development that was painful."
After rallying from a 44-32 deficit to tie the game at 46 at the half, the Kings were simply overmatch over the final 24 minutes. They never led in the third, during which time the Blazers built a nine-point lead. Batum's jam in the final minute made it 74-65 going to the fourth.
A pair of free throws from Jamal Crawford expanded the gap to 80-65 and the Blazers were in front by as many as 25 down the stretch.
"I thought we were stagnant the first half," Blazers coach Nate McMillan said. "The defense turned up, which led to some transition. We were able to get out and score some points."
Tuesday's game marked the first time the Trail Blazers have hosted games on consecutive nights to open regular season play since 1991-92...Sacramento has not won a road opener in Portland in three tries (also 1988-89, 1989-90)...Marcus Thornton scored 14 for the Kings, but Tyreke Evans was limited to four points after having 20 against the Lakers.
- SACRAMENTO: 79
Dec 28 12:29 AM
- SACRAMENTO: 65
End of 3rd
Dec 27 11:54 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 46
Dec 27 11:08 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 25
End of 1st
Dec 27 10:36 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Dec 27 10:12 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 10