Suns cap homestand with win over KingsMar 5, 2012 - 4:46 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Steve Nash had 19 points and seven assists and the Phoenix Suns wrapped up a successful homestand with a 96-88 win over the Sacramento Kings on Sunday.
Marcin Gortat added 14 points and 17 rebounds while Channing Frye also had a double-double, scoring 11 with 10 boards for the Suns, who went 5-1 on their homestand.
Marcus Thornton led Sacramento with 21 points, DeMarcus Cousins scored 16 with 14 rebounds and Tyreke Evans had 17 points but the Kings shot just 38 percent and fell to 2-9 in their last 11 games.
"They're a hard team to play because they're so athletic and they've got a lot of scorers," said Suns coach Alvin Gentry. "But I thought we did a good job. Our defense was really good."
Evans twice got the Kings within four points late in the game. But after his slashing reverse layup made it 88-84, Frye knocked down a shot at the other end. Evans followed with a jumper, but Grant Hill replied for the Suns to keep their lead at six.
Hill responded again after Isaiah Thomas hit a floater for the Kings to make it a four-point game again. Hill's bucket made it 94-88 and after Thomas missed his next shot, Jared Dudley gave the Suns their 96-88 lead inside a minute and it remained there.
Nash picked up two of his seven assists on Phoenix's last three baskets and the Suns shot 45.5 percent for the game.
"They made timely buckets," said Thornton.
Earlier, the Kings led by as many as nine in the first quarter and carried a 32-29 edge into the second. They led 52-47 at halftime and 71-70 going into the fourth quarter.
The Suns snapped a three-game losing streak in the series with a 98-84 win on Feb. 11...The Kings are 0-2 on three-game road trip that finishes Monday at Denver. They start a nine-game homestand after that...The Suns are at Oklahoma City on Wednesday, then back home for four straight.
- SACRAMENTO: 88
Mar 4 10:20 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 71
End of 3rd
Mar 4 9:50 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 52
Mar 4 9:07 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 32
End of 1st
Mar 4 8:36 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 4 8:13 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14