Hornets top KingsApr 12, 2012 - 3:46 AM New Orleans, LA (Sports Network) - Jason Smith had 22 points, Marco Belinelli scored 21 and New Orleans posted a 105-96 victory over Sacramento in a matchup between the two worst teams in the Western Conference.
Greivis Vasquez totaled 15 points and five assists for the Hornets, who have won three of their last five games.
Marcus Thornton paced the Kings with 25 points, while Tyreke Evans finished with 19 points, eight assists, five rebounds and four steals.
"We played well early in the game," said Kings head coach Keith Smart. "I thought we did a good job early in the game. This team, New Orleans is going to play hard all the time. They are going to make plays all the time. They just grind it out. We had so many easy plays that we could have made that we didn't make, easy shots that we could have made."
Sacramento dropped its sixth straight game, tying a season high (Feb. 11-21).
The Kings built a 29-20 lead after 12 minutes, with Thornton supplying 13 points. But the visitors shot only 31.3 percent in the second quarter.
Conversely, the Hornets made 66.7 percent of their attempts from the floor, and a Belinelli three-pointer put them up 50-49 at halftime.
"At the start of the game, [the Kings] scored a lot of points on offense. We just got everybody together and told them to get back on defense," Belinelli said.
New Orleans erased an early six-point deficit in the third quarter as Belinelli drained another trey to make it 68-61.
The Hornets extended their lead to 12 in the fourth quarter, but it was trimmed to 96-92 on Evans' driving layup with 4:06 remaining. Sacramento couldn't get any closer.
Xavier Henry had 14 points for New Orleans, while Chris Kaman totaled eight points and grabbed 10 rebounds...Jason Thompson recorded 18 points and seven boards for the Kings...Sacramento won the first three meetings and was looking to sweep the season series for the first time since winning both matchups in 2003-04.
- SACRAMENTO: 96
NEW ORLEANS: 105
Apr 11 10:23 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 49
NEW ORLEANS: 50
Apr 11 9:08 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 29
NEW ORLEANS: 20
End of 1st
Apr 11 8:37 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 11 8:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Apr 28