Kings close out season with win over LakersApr 27, 2012 - 6:53 AM Sacramento, CA (Sports Network) - DeMarcus Cousins posted 23 points and 19 rebounds as Sacramento thumped the Los Angeles Lakers, 113-96, to end the season.
Los Angeles (41-25) rested its big players as the team was already guaranteed the third seed after winning the Pacific Division. The team will open the playoffs against Denver at home starting on Sunday.
Tyreke Evans had 21 points and Jason Thompson added 17 points and 10 boards for the Kings (22-44), who won two of three to end the season.
"You see some upside and hopefully we can get things going," Thompson said.
Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol all sat out, while Metta World Peace served the first of his seven-game suspension for elbowing Oklahoma City's James Harden on Sunday. Josh McRoberts scored 16 points and pulled down nine rebounds in the loss.
When asked about the Nuggets, Bryant said, "We have to control the tempo. They're going to get up and down, try to speed the game up, go to a smaller lineup and so forth. We got to do a great job controlling the pace."
The Lakers led early, but the Kings eventually pulled ahead and an 11-2 run helped the team take a 35-24 lead into the second quarter.
Los Angeles was able to keep it close with a couple of runs in the second quarter, but Sacramento always had an answer and eventually took a 56-43 lead into the halftime break.
The Kings continued to run in front in the third and kept a double-digit lead throughout. Los Angeles got to within 10 a couple of times, the last when Jordan Hill made a basket to cut the score to 75-65.
Sacramento, though, answered with the next five points and eventually took a 90-74 lead into the fourth.
The lead grew to as many as 24 points in the final frame as the Kings coasted to the finish line.
Sacramento won two of three from Los Angeles this season...Sacramento shot 51.1 percent, while Los Angeles made 45.1 percent of its shots.
- LOS ANGELES: 96
Apr 27 12:44 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 74
End of 3rd
Apr 27 12:17 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 43
Apr 26 11:33 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 24
End of 1st
Apr 26 11:05 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 26 10:43 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9