Rockets beat Bobcats for 1st road winJan 11, 2012 - 3:00 AM Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Chandler Parsons scored 20 points and Houston earned its first road win in six tries of the season, 82-70, over the Charlotte Bobcats.
Despite a 5-of-19 effort from the field, Kevin Martin added 17 points for the Rockets. Jordan Hill chipped in 12 points and 12 rebounds as Houston snapped a four-game overall skid. The Rockets won despite shooting 38.6 percent.
"A game like that, it's exciting," Parsons said. "For our team to be able to shoot that poorly from the field and be able to pull out a win on the road in the NBA, that's the good effort we have to give on the defensive end every night to win games like this."
Rockets point guard Kyle Lowry, who had been out of action since he bruised his right foot at practice last Thursday, returned to the starting lineup and had six points, 11 rebounds and eight assists.
Byron Mullens scored 15 and had 10 rebounds in a reserve role for the Bobcats, who shot 34.1 percent from the field. Gerald Henderson had 12 points and D.J. Augustin scored 11 for Charlotte, which has lost four in a row.
The Bobcats were coming off Monday's 91-87 loss at New York.
"We couldn't run, we couldn't defend," Bobcats coach Paul Silas said about his team's fatigue factor. "Our shots were just short. I can't fault the guys. they gave me what they had. That's all I can expect."
The Bobcats were ahead 23-20 after the first quarter, but the Rockets gained momentum in the second quarter by virtue of a 16-2 spurt. Samuel Dalembert, who had 10 rebounds, capped the burst with a pair of layups, one on an alley- oop. Houston gained a 43-33 lead after the run with 1 1/2 minutes left in the half.
Charlotte then scored the final six points of the half, but struggled by going 4-of-16 from the field in the third quarter. That was part of a woeful 11- for-40 effort in the second half.
A dunk by Parsons widened the gap to 11 early in the third and the cushion reached 15 in the closing seconds of the period. A jumper from Henderson had the Bobcats within 71-66 with 3:36 remaining in the game, but Parson stemmed the tide by drilling a three-pointer and a jumper.
Bobcats forward Tyrus Thomas missed the game due to fatigue in his legs....Houston has won 10 of the last 12 meetings...Charlotte was 1-of-13 on three-point shots.
- HOUSTON: 82
Jan 10 9:14 PM
- HOUSTON: 67
End of 3rd
Jan 10 8:42 PM
- HOUSTON: 43
Jan 10 8:00 PM
- HOUSTON: 20
End of 1st
Jan 10 7:33 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 10 7:11 PM
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- LeBron 'not fond' of NBA's reviews of officiating Apr 29