Mavs hand Thunder first loss of seasonJan 3, 2012 - 5:47 AM Dallas, TX (Sports Network) - Dirk Nowitzki scored a team-high 26 points, pacing the Mavericks past the previously unbeaten Thunder, 100-87.
Shawn Marion added 17 points for Dallas, which lost four of its first five games but got plenty of help off the bench to hand Oklahoma City its first loss of the young season.
Jason Terry and Vince Carter chipped in 15 and 14 points, respectively, while fellow reserve Ian Mahinmi scored 10 points for the defending champions.
"Our bench was a big key to why we won last year and they are going to be a big key this year, especially in a season that is shortened," Nowitzki said. "We need the bench to come through and they played a good ballgame tonight."
Kevin Durant, whose buzzer-beating three-pointer beat the Mavs on December 29, scored 27 points on 21 shots, while Russell Westbrook finished with 18 points on 8-of-20 shooting.
The Thunder had averaged 102 points during their five-game winning streak.
The first quarter ended knotted at 20-all, and Terry's 10 points in the second quarter helped the hosts take a 54-47 lead into the break.
A 12-2 run -- spurred by field goals from Marion on three straight possessions -- gave Dallas a 68-53 advantage midway through the third.
Dallas held a 78-65 cushion heading to the fourth, and held off one last Thunder push down the stretch.
Oklahoma City had possession, trailing 89-81 with 3 1/2 minutes left, but Terry blocked a driving Westbrook and Nowitzki hit a jumper at the other end to restore the double-digit lead.
"This loss is tough for us because we kind of gave it away, but we'll go to the next game and try to get better," said Durant.
James Harden scored 16 points for the Thunder, who got 10 points and eight rebounds from Serge Ibaka...Nowitzki connected on his 8,000th career field goal in the second quarter...Jason Kidd handed out a game-high nine assists.
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 87
Jan 2 10:57 PM
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 65
End of 3rd
Jan 2 10:21 PM
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 47
Jan 2 9:39 PM
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 20
End of 1st
Jan 2 9:07 PM
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 2 8:42 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20