Mavs use balanced attack to top SunsJan 5, 2012 - 4:49 AM Dallas, TX (Sports Network) - Dirk Nowitzki scored 20 points and Jason Terry added 18, as the Mavericks downed the Suns, 98-89, on Wednesday.
Lamar Odom scored 15 points on 50 percent shooting and Shawn Marion chipped in 13 for the Mavericks, who have won two straight and three of four after an 0-3 start.
"The chemistry is getting a little bit better on the defensive end of the floor which is the most important," said Terry. "We know offensively that we are still a ways away, but defensively we like where we're at right now. We just need to continue to work."
Marcin Gortat had 22 points and 10 boards to lead the Suns, while Steve Nash had 15 points and 12 assists and Grant Hill finished with 14 points.
Odom, acquired from the Lakers during the offseason, had arguably his best performance as a Maverick. He hadn't scored more than eight points in a game entering Wednesday, but went 6-for-12 from the field against the Suns and grabbed five rebounds in a little over 22 minutes.
"Obviously Lamar has been on championship teams and played off the bench, so we're well aware of what he can do," said Suns coach Alvin Gentry.
The Mavs were coming off Tuesday's 100-87 victory over the previously undefeated Thunder. They carried the momentum into Wednesday, leading 49-41 at the half behind Nowitzki's 13 points.
Terry hit a trey at the buzzer to make it 77-66 after three, then continued his hot shooting in the final quarter. He went 3-of-3 from beyond the arc in the fourth, as the Mavs' advantage increased to 21.
Dallas has an eight-game home win streak against Phoenix, dating back to 2007...In all, the Mavs have won six straight over the Suns...Gortat's 22 points marked a Suns season-high.
- PHOENIX: 89
Jan 4 10:48 PM
- PHOENIX: 66
End of 3rd
Jan 4 10:19 PM
- PHOENIX: 41
Jan 4 9:37 PM
- PHOENIX: 25
End of 1st
Jan 4 9:06 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 4 8:41 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26
- Mejri, Lee out for Dallas against Oklahoma City playoff game Apr 25
- Face of fracas? Durant says testy playoffs just part of game Apr 25