Matthews leads Trail Blazers over NuggetsDec 30, 2011 - 8:15 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Wesley Matthews had 25 points and five rebounds to help Portland take a 111-102 win over Denver at the Rose Garden.
Raymond Felton scored 23 points, added six assists and five rebounds while Jamal Crawford donated 22 points for the Trail Blazers, who remain perfect on the season after three games.
Ty Lawson scored 25 points and Arron Afflalo added 19 points for the Nuggets, who were coming off wins over Dallas and Utah.
"We didn't make the shots we needed to down the stretch," said Denver head coach George Karl. "They did and we didn't, that's why they won the game."
The game was tied with under six minutes to play as Lawson buried a three- pointer to make it 98-all.
A technical foul call to Denver for a three-second violation saw Crawford hit the free throw and Matthews follow with a layup. After Rudy Fernandez missed a three-pointer, Matthews nailed a three-ball with 4:45 to play for a 104-98 lead.
Afflalo hit two free throws to make it a four-point game with 4:10 to play, but after two misses and a turnover from each team, Felton hit a three-ball with 1:45 to play to seal the win.
"We need to win tough games and that showed a lot of pride and a lot of heart among our team tonight," said Felton.
A 9-2 run in the first quarter helped Portland take a 30-17 lead after 12 minutes, but Denver answered in the second quarter with 36 points and the game was tied at 53-all after the first half.
Portland used an 8-0 run in the third quarter, which included consecutive three-pointers from Matthews, to take an 83-79 lead into the final quarter.
Denver plays in LA against the Lakers on Saturday...The Trail Blazers next play on New Year's Day against the Clippers in Los Angeles...Each team won twice in the season series in 2010-11...Portland shot 51.9 percent and grabbed 50 rebounds, while Denver shot just 40.2 percent and grabbed 30 boards.
- DENVER: 102
Dec 30 12:27 AM
- DENVER: 79
End of 3rd
Dec 29 11:54 PM
- DENVER: 53
Dec 29 11:13 PM
- DENVER: 17
End of 1st
Dec 29 10:38 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Dec 29 10:13 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11