Rockets outlast NuggetsFeb 7, 2012 - 5:53 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Luis Scola scored 25 points to go with eight rebounds while Kyle Lowry added 20 points and six assists as the Houston Rockets downed the Denver Nuggets, 99-90.
Chase Budinger nailed four treys and finished with 16 points for the Rockets, who made 10-of-19 shots from beyond the arc. Houston has won two of its last three games.
"Sometimes in the first half you don't make shots and in the second half you make them," Budinger said. "...We missed a bunch of wide-open shots in the first half.
Danilo Gallinari had 14 points to lead Denver before exiting with a left ankle injury. According to the Nuggets' Twitter account, x-rays on his ankle revealed a chip fracture. He will undergo a CT scan on Tuesday.
The Nuggets have lost three straight and five of six. Denver turned the ball over 20 times, made just 3-of-22 attempts from beyond the arc and missed 14 foul shots.
With the Rockets holding a 94-86 advantage with 2:53 to play, the Nuggets reeled off the next four points off a Kosta Koufous dunk and a pair of Rudy Fernandez free throws.
Al Harrington was fouled following an offensive rebound putback with 1:21 to play, but failed to maintain the momentum when he missed both foul shots.
Budinger nailed a three-pointer from the right corner at the other end to essentially put the game away with a minute left as the Rockets took a 97-90 lead.
Gallinari netted eight first-quarter points as the Nuggets led, 28-26, after one, but the Rockets took a 47-45 lead into the locker room as Scola poured in 16 first-half points.
Gallinari's injury came with 9:38 left in the third. From the left wing, he drove into the paint and appeared to go for a pull-up jumper. He rolled his left ankle badly and was fouled by Chandler Parsons on the play. Gallinari stayed in the contest and made both foul shots before exiting.
"It's tough to see him go down, he's a tough player," Denver point guard Ty Lawson said.
The Rockets took a 73-71 lead into the fourth thanks to a Budinger trey at the buzzer.
The Rockets scored 17 points off turnovers...Harrington finished with 12 points and 15 rebounds...The Nuggets held a 50-22 edge in the paint...There were 20 lead changes in the contest.
- HOUSTON: 99
Feb 6 11:29 PM
- HOUSTON: 73
End of 3rd
Feb 6 10:54 PM
- HOUSTON: 47
Feb 6 10:08 PM
- HOUSTON: 26
End of 1st
Feb 6 9:37 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:46
Feb 6 9:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26
- Warriors-Rockets Game 4: most 1st-round viewers since '02 Apr 26
- Stephen Curry out at least 2 weeks with sprained right knee Apr 25
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 24