Redick helps Magic down RocketsDec 27, 2011 - 6:51 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - J.J. Redick scored 20 points, including an acrobatic layup in between two defenders that sparked a key third quarter run, to help lead the Magic to a 104-95 win over the Rockets at Amway Center.
Dwight Howard scored 21 points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked three shots while Hedo Turkoglu netted 23 points for Orlando, which picked up its first win of the season. The Magic lost in Oklahoma City on Sunday.
Kyle Lowry led the Rockets with 20 points, 12 assists and seven rebounds. Luis Scola added 19 points and seven boards for Houston, which was playing its season opener.
Courtney Lee added 15 points off the bench and Samuel Dalembert, who officially signed with Houston on Monday, chipped in 10 points, five rebounds and three blocks.
"I didn't think I'd be playing Samuel Dalembert 20 minutes that game," said Kevin McHale after his debut as Rockets head coach.
The first half saw the Magic take a three-point lead into the break after shooting 53.5 percent from the field. The Magic held a 44-34 lead with 5:00 left in the half before the Rockets put together a 7-0 run on the backs of Lowery and Scola, who scored 15 of his 19 before the break to keep the game close.
The Magic opened the second half with a 10-4 run of its own to cushion a lead that it did not relinquish.
The Rockets managed to cut the lead to one at 66-65 with 4:36 left, but Howard rejected a Scola jumper before Chris Duhon corralled the loose ball and hit a streaking Redick who split two defenders going across the lane before laying it in. Dalembert was then called for traveling and Orlando scored nine straight.
The Rockets managed to score eight before the end of the third, but the Magic proved to be too much in the final frame, outscoring Houston 27-22.
Houston looked poised for one more push, but a Turkoglu three with 1:30 left crushed any hopes of a comeback.
"It was a great overall win," Howard said. "We still have to continue to get better, and we will."
Orlando has won last five meetings between the two clubs...Howard was just 4-of-12 from the field Sunday, but bounced back with a 9-for-15 performance Monday...The Rockets fell to 22-23 all-time in season openers.
- HOUSTON: 95
Dec 26 9:21 PM
- HOUSTON: 73
End of 3rd
Dec 26 8:51 PM
- HOUSTON: 50
Dec 26 8:11 PM
- HOUSTON: 23
End of 1st
Dec 26 7:42 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Dec 26 7:16 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27