Bryant scores 48 as Lakers drop SunsJan 11, 2012 - 7:24 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Kobe Bryant put together another vintage performance with 48 points on Tuesday, shouldering the load as the Lakers took down the Suns, 99-83.
Bryant shot 18-of-31 from the field and 12-of-13 from the free throw line to help Los Angeles complete an unblemished three-game homestand.
Pau Gasol chipped in 16 points and 12 rebounds, while Andrew Bynum added 12 and eight in the victory.
Marcin Gortat totaled 16 points and 12 rebounds for Phoenix, which had won three of four coming in. Channing Frye scored 17 points in defeat.
The Lakers started slow and trailed 19-10 following a Gortat basket six minutes in.
Bryant then caught fire over the final four minutes, scoring 13 points on LA's 15-0 quarter-ending run.
"I just tried to generate some energy with our ballclub," Bryant said.
The Lakers led 46-42 at halftime, 73-68 at the end of the third quarter and never trailed in the fourth.
A three-pointer by Frye pulled Phoenix as close as 83-82 near the midway point, but the Lakers responded with the next 10 points, as Bryant threw down the exclamation point with a reverse alley-oop dunk.
The Lakers led by double digits the rest of the way.
"We did a good job of defending Kobe, he just makes tough shots," Suns head coach Alvin Gentry said.
Bryant has scored 30 or more points in four of his last five games. He has 108 career 40-point games...The Lakers have won seven straight at Staples Center since dropping their home opener to the Bulls...Steve Nash totaled 13 points and eight assists for the Suns, who were outrebounded, 49-35.
- PHOENIX: 83
LOS ANGELES: 99
Jan 11 12:55 AM
- PHOENIX: 68
LOS ANGELES: 73
End of 3rd
Jan 11 12:19 AM
- PHOENIX: 42
LOS ANGELES: 46
Jan 10 11:38 PM
- PHOENIX: 19
LOS ANGELES: 25
End of 1st
Jan 10 11:05 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 10 10:42 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kobe Bryant's animated short gets assist from John Williams May 5