Balanced Magic beat Timberwolves by 13Feb 14, 2012 - 5:54 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Jason Richardson had 17 points and was one of six Magic players to score in double figures Monday as Orlando took down the Minnesota Timberwolves, 102-89.
Jameer Nelson, J.J. Redick and Hedo Turkoglu finished with 14 points apiece and Ryan Anderson added 13 for the Magic, who have won six of their last eight games.
Dwight Howard scored 11 points to go with seven boards in the victory.
"We're sharing the ball a lot more and doing a lot of good things on defense," explained Richardson of the Magic's recent success.
Kevin Love had 19 points and 15 rebounds for Minnesota, which has lost four straight. The Wolves turned the ball over 18 times, leading to 17 Magic points.
The Magic used an early 12-4 run to build a 17-8 advantage midway through the first, but the Wolves fought back and Ricky Rubio's trey with 1.4 seconds left in the period pulled Minnesota within 29-26 after one.
Orlando reestablished its comfortable lead in the second after beginning the quarter on a 12-4 flurry. Earl Clark netted six points during the spurt. The Magic continued to hold a healthy margin for the remainder of the half and took a 55-44 advantage into the locker room.
Love had 10 points and eight rebounds to pace Minnesota in the first half while Orlando nailed 6-of-13 attempts from beyond the arc.
The Magic began the second half on a 14-5 push as Turkoglu's lob to Howard gave Orlando its largest lead of 20, 69-49, midway through the third frame. The hosts took a 79-66 advantage into the final quarter.
Minnesota rallied in the fourth and pulled within eight following a 10-2 run. J.J. Barea and Michael Beasley hit consecutive treys and Derrick Williams made a pair of foul shots to cap the spurt as the Wolves found themselves down 90-82 with 5:47 to play.
But back-to-back three-pointers by Redick and Nelson upped the margin back to double digits, and Orlando cruised the rest of the way.
"They know how to play," Love said of the Magic. "We just have to step it up."
The Magic are 13-1 when they score at least 100 points...Orlando was 12-of-30 from three-point range while Minnesota was just 6-of-21...Rubio had 11 points and eight assists.
- MINNESOTA: 89
Feb 13 9:14 PM
- MINNESOTA: 66
End of 3rd
Feb 13 8:47 PM
- MINNESOTA: 44
Feb 13 8:06 PM
- MINNESOTA: 26
End of 1st
Feb 13 7:36 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Feb 13 7:13 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12