Howard leads Magic over NetsMar 17, 2012 - 4:00 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Dwight Howard is still with the Magic, and Orlando continues to dominate the New Jersey Nets.
A day after deciding that he wouldn't opt out of his contract this summer, Howard supplied a game-high 18 points to lead Orlando to an 86-70 win over the Nets.
"I think Dwight did a really good job of following his heart and doing what was best for him," said Magic forward Glen Davis.
Howard was one of six players to reach double-figures in scoring.
Jameer Nelson and Davis had 13 points apiece, Ryan Anderson contributed a double-double of 12 points and a game-high 11 rebounds and Hedo Turkoglu and Jason Richardson each posted 10 points in the Magic's 10th straight win over New Jersey.
The Magic have won four of five overall.
Gerald Green had 14 points off the bench for the Nets, who suffered their third loss in four games. Deron Williams sat out again with a strained right calf.
Howard was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor in a first quarter that saw Orlando lead by as many as eight. A jumper by Anthony Morrow trimmed New Jersey's deficit to 22-18 after 12 minutes.
The Nets tied the game on two occasions early in the second quarter but couldn't move ahead, and fell behind 43-29 when Nelson drained a three- pointer.
Orlando settled for a 10-point advantage at halftime, then opened the third quarter with a driving layup by Turkoglu and an Anderson three-pointer to go up 51-36.
"We got off to a decent start tonight," said Nets head coach Avery Johnson. "Not a bad first quarter, but [the Magic] came out in the beginning of the third quarter and really threw a knockout punch at us."
New Jersey closed to within 10 before the Magic doubled their advantage, going up 67-47 on a Nelson three-pointer.
The Magic entered the fourth quarter up 12 and cruised to victory.
Turkoglu and Nelson both dished out six assists...DeShawn Stevenson had 11 points for New Jersey...The Nets have lost eight straight meetings in Orlando.
- NEW JERSEY: 70
Mar 16 9:16 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 60
End of 3rd
Mar 16 8:46 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 36
Mar 16 8:05 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 18
End of 1st
Mar 16 7:38 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 16 7:13 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29