Pierce rallies Celtics past HawksJan 6, 2013 - 3:02 AM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Paul Pierce scored 17 of his 26 points in the third quarter, as Boston rallied to beat the Atlanta Hawks, 89-81, at Philips Arena.
After surrendering 53 points to the Hawks on 52.5 percent shooting in the first half, the Celtics allowed just 28 points the rest of the game in overcoming a 15-point halftime deficit. They held a 33-9 scoring advantage in the third quarter.
Rajon Rondo produced a triple-double with 14 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists in helping the Celtics to their second straight win on the heels of a four-game skid.
Lou Williams scored a game-high 28 points, but had just seven over the final two periods during the Hawks' collapse. Jeff Teague followed with 17 points and Josh Smith tallied 12 points, 10 rebounds and five assists in the Hawks' second straight defeat.
A night after displaying one of its best defensive efforts of the season in a win over Indiana, Boston won with the same formula against Atlanta, but didn't show it early.
Williams shredded the Celtics for 21 points in the first half, with 16 coming in the first quarter. The Hawks dominated through the first two periods in carrying a 53-38 lead into the break, however the second half was a completely different story.
The Celtics came out of the locker room and ripped off a 15-4 run to start the third period -- with Pierce scoring 11 during the surge -- to come within 57-55.
Pierce knocked down 6-of-9 from the field in the quarter and scored the Celtics' last six to give Boston a 71-62 lead heading into the fourth.
Atlanta shot just 25 percent (7-for-28) and committed 13 turnovers in the second half and never regained the lead after falling behind 61-60 in the third. They came within five just past the midway point in the final period, but never got any closer.
Boston has taken three of the past four matchups with the Hawks and six of the last 10 ... The Hawks held a 31-18 lead at the end of the first ... Boston scored 24 points off 21 Atlanta turnovers.
- BOSTON: 89
Jan 5 9:25 PM
- BOSTON: 71
End of 3rd
Jan 5 8:50 PM
- BOSTON: 38
Jan 5 8:08 PM
- BOSTON: 18
End of 1st
Jan 5 7:34 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:33
Jan 5 7:12 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7