Smith leads Hawks past MavsFeb 12, 2013 - 5:18 AM Atlanta Hawks to a 105-101 win over the Dallas Mavericks on Monday.
Smith, who went 10-for-15 from the field and 4-of-5 from 3-point range, also grabbed 13 rebounds and dished out six assists.
Al Horford scored 21 points and pulled down 10 rebounds, Jeff Teague scored 20 points to go with nine assists and Devin Harris scored 15 points for the Hawks, who have won two of their last three.
"This was probably one of the biggest wins for us this year, coming into an arena that is very tough to play in," said Hawks head coach Larry Drew. "For the most part, we did an excellent job of executing our game plan and our strategy of trying to keep them off balance as best we can."
Dirk Nowitzki scored 24 points and O.J. Mayo poured in 19 points for the Mavs, who had won two in a row entering the contest.
"We haven't broken the threshold that's going to make us a team that can really become a dangerous team," said Mavs head coach Rick Carlisle. "I think we're a dangerous team. I think we can beat anybody on any given night, but the consistency has got to be better."
Smith's 3-pointer with 1:51 left put the Hawks up 99-94, but Nowitzki scored the next four points to make it 99-98 with 44.9 seconds left.
Elton Brand then stole the ball from Smith and passed it up court to Mayo, but Harris raced down the court and stripped Mayo at the other end to get the ball back.
Dallas was forced to foul Smith, who buried a pair of free throws with 22.2 seconds left, and Teague stole Mayo's wild pass on the next trip down the court and sunk two free throws to push the lead to 103-98 with 13.6 ticks showing.
Nowitzki canned a 3-pointer from the top of the key seven seconds later to pull the Mavs within 103-101, but Kyle Korver's free throws with 5.2 seconds left sealed the win for the Hawks.
Crowder's baseball pass was stolen by Horford in the final seconds.
Atlanta lead 31-23 after the first quarter and took a 49-48 lead into the break,
The Hawks led by eight points with 1:35 left in the third period, but the Mavs scored the final seven points of the frame to go into the final stage trailing, 82-81.
The Hawks shot 51.9 percent (40-for-77) from field goal range ... Atlanta outscored the Mavs, 42-36, in the paint ... Korver scored 10 points ... Darren Collison scored 14 points and dished out 10 assists in the setback.
- ATLANTA: 105
Feb 11 10:57 PM
- ATLANTA: 82
End of 3rd
Feb 11 10:18 PM
- ATLANTA: 49
Feb 11 9:34 PM
- ATLANTA: 31
End of 1st
Feb 11 9:05 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Feb 11 8:41 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7