Horford, Hawks drop NetsMar 18, 2013 - 5:21 AM Atlanta Hawks' 105-93 win over the Brooklyn Nets.
Josh Smith added 21 points, seven boards and five assists for the Hawks, who have won three straight games on the heels of dropping six of seven and snapped a five-game road losing streak.
"Now we're a game behind Brooklyn, so it was a big win for us. We're trying to be in the best possible position for the playoffs," Horford said.
Jeff Teague finished with 11 points and 15 helpers in the win. Atlanta outscored the Nets 34-20 in the fourth quarter.
Joe Johnson netted 18 points against his former team for Brooklyn, which had won four of its last five games coming in.
"We didn't defend. I don't think we defended for most of the game," Nets interim head coach P.J. Carlesimo said.
Reggie Evans added 14 points and 22 rebounds in defeat.
The Nets took a 73-71 lead into the final frame, but the Hawks began to pull away during the middle stages of the stanza.
After Deron Williams' bank shot knotted the tilt at 77-77 with 9:10 remaining, the Hawks countered with a 16-6 run. Ivan Johnson had five points during the burst, which was capped on a Horford jumper to make it 96-83 with 4:23 left.
Brooklyn never cut the deficit into single digits down the stretch.
The Nets took a 24-21 lead after a quarter of play, but Atlanta outscored them 30-25 in the second to take a 51-49 edge into the break.
The Hawks outscored the Nets 56-38 in the paint ... Williams registered 18 points and eight assists for Brooklyn ... There were 15 ties and 10 lead changes.
- ATLANTA: 105
Mar 17 10:12 PM
- ATLANTA: 71
End of 3rd
Mar 17 9:40 PM
- ATLANTA: 51
Mar 17 9:00 PM
- ATLANTA: 21
End of 1st
Mar 17 8:33 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Mar 17 8:11 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7