Hawks hold off MagicMar 31, 2013 - 2:18 AM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Ivan Johnson scored 21 points and pulled down 10 rebounds off the bench to lead the Atlanta Hawks to a 97-88 win over the Orlando Magic on Saturday.
Josh Smith also had 21 points to go with nine boards and Devin Harris added 17 points and six assists for the Hawks, winners in 10 straight against the Magic.
Forward Al Horford missed his second straight game because of an illness.
"It was real fun, I got a lot of work in. It was good. Certain times you need to step up. Somebody has to step it up (when the starters are out). I try, I do what I can," Johnson said.
Beno Udrih scored a team-high 20 points and Maurice Harkless added 17 for Orlando, which fell to 8-28 on the road this season.
Center Nikola Vucevic, who had missed the past five games because of a concussion, turned in 17 points and 15 rebounds in the setback.
Orlando led 27-23 after the first quarter, but the Hawks opened the second frame on a 17-7 run to go up 40-34 with just over five minutes to go in the half.
The Magic countered with a 10-2 swing of their own, capped with Harkless' slam with 1:09 remaining, to regain the lead, 44-42.
The Hawks, however, scored the final three points of half to go into the break with a slight 45-44 edge.
Orlando tied the game with 3:49 remaining in the third, but the Hawks used a 12-4 run to push the lead back to eight, 67-59, and led by seven entering the final frame.
A pair of Harris free throws at the 7:41 mark made it 80-69, and Johnson added a three-point play moments later to give the Hawks their largest lead of the game at 14.
A Kyle O'Quinn jumper cut the Magic's deficit to nine, 84-75, but Orlando never got closer than seven the rest of the way.
"I thought our defense was pretty good. over the first three quarters we gave up 23, 22 and 22 points. We'll take that, but you have to score at the same time, and tonight we didn't do that," Orlando head coach Jacque Vaughn said.
Johnson tied a career-high with 21 points ... Atlanta scored 22 points off 19 Orlando turnovers ... The Hawks are 23-13 at home this season ... Harkless has reached double figures in nine of his last 10 games ... Tobias Harris added 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Magic ... Orlando guard Jameer Nelson missed the game with an ankle injury ... The Magic's last win against Atlanta came on Nov. 8, 2010.
- ORLANDO: 88
Mar 30 9:29 PM
- ORLANDO: 60
End of 3rd
Mar 30 8:52 PM
- ORLANDO: 44
Mar 30 8:22 PM
- ORLANDO: 27
End of 1st
Mar 30 7:39 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:39
Mar 30 7:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8