Pistons beat Celtics by 20Nov 19, 2012 - 5:41 AM Auburn Hills, MI (Sports Network) - Greg Monroe paced six double-digit scorers with 20 points while also adding 13 rebounds as the Detroit Pistons downed the Boston Celtics, 103-83, on Sunday.
Jason Maxiell had 15 points, Kyle Singler and Rodney Stuckey each dropped in 14, Corey Maggette netted 11 and Tayshaun Prince contributed 10 for the Pistons, who have won two of their last three after dropping their first seven games of the season.
"We just played with a lot of intensity tonight," said Monroe. "Everybody played hard and gave maximum effort while they were on the floor for the whole game."
Jared Sullinger scored 16 points off the bench to lead the Celtics, while Rajon Rondo finished with 12 points and 10 assists in Boston's second loss in three games.
"We just didn't have it," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said.
Boston opened the game with a 7-2 run to jump out to an early lead, but the Pistons were able to keep the Celtics within striking distance and after a Chris Wilcox dunk gave Boston a 24-17 lead with less than two minutes remaining in the first quarter, Detroit closed out the frame with a 6-2 push to get within 25-23 entering the second quarter.
Detroit then opened the second with back-to-back layups by Stuckey and Andre Drummond to take its first lead.
It remained a one-possession game from there as the teams traded baskets until the Pistons followed a Jonas Jerebko layup, which tied the game at 36-36, with a 12-4 run to go on top, 48-40, with less than a minute left in the half.
Rondo connected on a 3-pointer in the closing seconds to make it a 48-43 game at the break.
The Pistons then pulled away in the third quarter, following Jason Terry's opening jumper with six straight points to stretch their lead up to 54-45.
A 12-2 run later in the third pushed Detroit's advantage up to 18 points at 71-53 before taking a 71-57 lead into the fourth quarter.
Boston never threatened in the final stanza, trailing by at least 12 points and by as much as 22 over the final 12 minutes.
Rondo has now recorded double-digit assists in 34 straight games ... Detroit improved to 1-3 at home this season ... Kevin Garnett had 15 points and Paul Pierce poured in 13 in the loss ... The Pistons scored 23 points off 18 Boston turnovers.
- BOSTON: 83
Nov 18 9:57 PM
- BOSTON: 57
End of 3rd
Nov 18 9:24 PM
- BOSTON: 43
Nov 18 8:41 PM
- BOSTON: 25
End of 1st
Nov 18 8:09 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:59
Nov 18 7:41 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27