Monroe leads Pistons as Celtics drop third in a rowJan 21, 2013 - 5:11 AM Auburn Hills, MI (Sports Network) - Greg Monroe recorded a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds, helping the Detroit Pistons beat the Boston Celtics, 103-88, on Sunday.
Andre Drummond added 16 points and seven rebounds for the Pistons, who bounced back from a loss to the Knicks in London on Thursday. Will Bynum and Brandon Knight each had 15 points.
"It was a little frustrating taking a loss over in London," Drummond said. "We knew we had to bounce back."
Kevin Garnett and Courtney Lee ended with 16 points apiece for the Celtics, who have lost three in a row. Jeff Green donated 15 points.
The Pistons started the game on a 13-2 run and built a 27-14 margin on Tayshaun Prince's 3-pointer with 1:09 left. Green responded with a pair of jumpers to get Boston within nine, 27-18.
Detroit started the second stanza on a 9-0 run to build a 36-18 lead. The Celtics, however, fired back with 10 straight points to keep it close. Lee made back-to-back 3-pointers to cut the gap to 36-28 with 8:08 remaining.
Boston used a 6-0 spurt later in the frame to cut the deficit to 47-46 with 1:16 to go. Knight scored Detroit's final five points of the half to make it a 52-48 game at the break.
Holding a 70-66 lead with three minutes left in the third quarter, the Pistons ended the period on an 11-5 flurry. Drummond made a pair of free throws with 35.2 seconds left to give Detroit an 81-71 margin.
The Pistons put the game away late in the fourth. Ahead by 11, 91-80, with 3:23 remaining, Detroit went on a 12-4 run.
"This group right now is not playing right," said Celtics head coach Doc Rivers. "We're playing awful."
The Pistons have won four straight against Boston ... Prince had 14 points ... Detroit shot 46.2 percent from the field and went 9-of-19 from beyond the arc ... Boston forward Chris Wilcox (sprained right thumb) missed the game ... The Pistons turned the ball over 21 times, leading to 21 Boston points.
- BOSTON: 88
Jan 20 10:07 PM
- BOSTON: 71
End of 3rd
Jan 20 9:34 PM
- BOSTON: 48
Jan 20 8:42 PM
- BOSTON: 18
End of 1st
Jan 20 8:09 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:44
Jan 20 7:43 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27