Celtics roll over KingsJan 31, 2013 - 5:13 AM
Kevin Garnett had 13 points and nine rebounds for the Celtics, who came into this game off a double-overtime victory over the Miami Heat on Sunday. Brandon Bass, Jeff Green, and Jason Terry each scored 12 points off the bench, while Courtney Lee, who started in place of the injured Rajon Rondo, scored nine points.
"I'm very happy with the way we played," Pierce said. "We defended well, we moved the ball. You look down and you got six or seven guys in double figures...not a bad start to our point guard being out."
Tyreke Evans had a game-high 19 points and 11 rebounds, while DeMarcus Cousins added 13 points for the Kings, who have lost five of their past six games.
Boston scored the first eight points of the game, but then suffered a setback when Jared Sullinger left with back spasms. The rookie forward did not return.
Sacramento came back and tied the game, 22-22, with 48 seconds remaining, thanks to a dunk by Jason Thompson. A dunk by Evans with 15.9 seconds remaining gave the Kings a 24-22 lead by the end of the quarter.
However, in the second, Green sparked a 20-5 run with jumper. Boston shot 16- of-20 in the period, including a perfect 3-for-3 from 3-point range, and by halftime had a 59-38 lead.
"I think we played a pretty good basketball game except for the second quarter," Sacramento coach Keith Smart remarked. "If you look at the rest of the game, we played a pretty decent game. But we couldn't make up for that ground that we gave up in the second quarter."
The second half didn't fare any better for the Kings. At one point in the third quarter, they trailed 80-56 before layups by Thomas Robinson and Evans cut the deficit 80-60.
In the fourth, Evans scored six points early on and a three-point play by Cousins cut the Celtics' lead to 90-76 with 5:44 remaining, but the Kings were unable to get any closer.
Garnett played in his 1,300th career game ... Sacramento has lost six of its last seven games at Boston, including five straight ... The Kings had just 13 assists.
- SACRAMENTO: 81
Jan 30 9:51 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 60
End of 3rd
Jan 30 9:19 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 38
Jan 30 8:36 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 24
End of 1st
Jan 30 8:06 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Jan 30 7:41 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28