Nuggets top Celtics to give Karl milestone winFeb 20, 2013 - 6:31 AM
Danilo Gallinari had 26 points in the Denver Nuggets' 97-90 win over the Boston Celtics.
The Celtics downed the Nuggets, 118-114, in triple overtime a little over a week ago on Feb. 10
George Karl picked up his 400th win as Nuggets head coach in the triumph.
Ty Lawson added 26 points, six assists and six rebounds for Denver, which snapped its three-game losing streak that came on the heels of a nine-game winning stretch.
"It shows how much we've matured as a team, to come back from the All-Star break and beat a team like that," Lawson said.
Jeff Green netted 20 points off the bench to lead the Celtics, who have dropped two of their last three tilts since winning seven in a row.
"We got stagnant with ball movement," Boston's Paul Pierce said. "A little too much one-on-one."
The Celtics began the fourth on a 9-2 flurry to pull within 80-79 and Avery Bradley's 3-pointer from the right corner tied the game at 84-84 midway through the frame.
Denver, though, countered with a 10-2 push to seize control of the contest. Lawson and Gallinari poured in four points apiece during the stretch as the Nuggets opened up a 94-86 cushion with 2:21 to play.
Boston scored the next four as Green put in a layup and Jason Terry sunk two free throws, but after Kenneth Faried missed two free throws, Kevin Garnett was unable to get his contested layup to drop and Gallinari rebounded the miss
The Celtics took a 22-21 edge after a quarter of play and a 50-49 advantage into the break. But Denver outscored Boston 29-20 in the third to take a 78-70 spread into the final period.
The Nuggets (33-21) had the best record heading into the break without an All- Star representative ... Boston is 0-6 on the road against Western Conference opponents this season ... Andre Iguodala returned from a brief two-game absence for Denver due to a neck injury. Gallinari had missed his two previous tilts as well due to an illness.
- BOSTON: 90
Feb 19 11:26 PM
- BOSTON: 70
End of 3rd
Feb 19 10:46 PM
- BOSTON: 50
Feb 19 10:02 PM
- BOSTON: 22
End of 1st
Feb 19 9:32 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:36
Feb 19 9:11 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27
- Hawks-Celtics Preview Apr 27