Short-handed Spurs too much for reeling BobcatsJan 31, 2013 - 5:31 AM San Antonio Spurs to a 102-78 win over the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday.
Kawhi Leonard scored 18 points and Danny Green finished with 17 for the short- handed Spurs, winners of nine straight.
"I was just working," Leonard said of his performance. "I just finally got a little opportunity to show it tonight. Just hard work is working for me."
San Antonio was without forward Tim Duncan (sore left knee) for the fourth straight game. Forwards DeJuan Blair (right knee effusion) and Matt Bonner (right knee effusion) also missed the game.
Ramon Sessions scored 20 points off the bench and Kemba Walker chipped in with 16 for the reeling Bobcats, who have dropped 10 of their last 12 games to fall to 11-34.
The Spurs held a slim, 25-23, lead after the first quarter, but outscored Charlotte, 24-14, in the second to take a 49-37 lead into the break.
A balanced scoring attack paced the Spurs in the second, as they shot 52.9 percent from the floor. Tiago Splitter led the way with six points and Leonard added five, while Parker and Manu Ginobili added four points apiece.
San Antonio continued to pour it on in the second half, outscoring the Bobcats, 25-23, in the third and 28-18 in the final frame. The Spurs shot a blistering 75 percent (9-for-12) over the final 12 minutes and scored 14 points off of nine Charlotte turnovers.
"They took care of business," Charlotte guard Ben Gordon remarked. "In the second half they just put us away. They were real sharp with everything they did. They capitalized on all of our mistakes."
The Spurs scored 34 points off of 24 Charlotte turnovers, but allowed 23 points off of 23 giveaways ... San Antonio dominated the Bobcats inside, outscoring them by a 48-24 margin in the paint ... Gordon scored 11 points in the setback.
- CHARLOTTE: 78
SAN ANTONIO: 102
Jan 30 10:44 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 60
SAN ANTONIO: 74
End of 3rd
Jan 30 10:12 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 37
SAN ANTONIO: 49
Jan 30 9:34 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 23
SAN ANTONIO: 25
End of 1st
Jan 30 9:05 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Jan 30 8:41 PM
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 11