Tragic Kingdom: Bobcats shut down listless MagicFeb 20, 2013 - 6:19 AM
Kemba Walker also scored 24 points while dishing out seven assists, while Byron Mullens finished with 20 points and 12 boards for the Bobcats, winners in two of their last three games.
"We came out really strong and played well throughout the entire game," Walker said. "They made a run, but we stuck with it. I want to see that. I want to see us, when things get tough, we get tougher."
Nikola Vucevic scored 18 points to go with 11 rebounds and Andrew Nicholson scored 13 points and grabbed 12 boards for the Magic, who have dropped 14 of their last 15 games.
"Bad basketball and bad defense," Magic guard J.J. Redick said. "They didn't seem to have any problem with energy, or from the (All-Star break) layoff. It was bad."
Arron Afflalo scored 18 points and Maurice Harkless added 15 points and six rebounds in the setback.
Charlotte shot a scorching 68.2 percent (15-for-22) in the first quarter to race out to a 37-27 lead. Mullens and Ben Gordon stayed hot for the Bobcats in the second frame, going a combined 6-for-10 from the floor to help Charlotte take a 63-43 lead into the break.
The Bobcats smothered Orlando defensively in the second quarter, holding the Magic to just 16 points on 7-for-25 shooting.
The Magic bounced back in the third, though, to cut the deficit to 80-70 entering the final stage. Orlando shot 56.5 percent (13-for-23) from the field and scored 10 points off six Charlotte turnovers during the period.
Orlando carried that momentum into the fourth quarter and cut the lead to 90-88 with four minutes left, but the Bobcats outscored the Magic 15-4 the rest of the way to lock up the win.
Orlando holds a 24-11 lead in the all-time series ... The Bobcats won for just the fourth time in 18 meetings in Orlando ... Gordon and Ramon Sessions finished with 10 points apiece ... Redick scored 10 points off the bench for the Magic.
- CHARLOTTE: 105
Feb 19 9:21 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 80
End of 3rd
Feb 19 8:45 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 63
Feb 19 8:03 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 37
End of 1st
Feb 19 7:35 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 2
1st Quarter - 11:37
Feb 19 7:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30