Nets win big in CharlotteMar 7, 2013 - 7:12 AM
Johnson shot 8-of-14 from the field, including 5-of-8 from behind the arc, for the Nets, who came into the game off a loss at Chicago on Saturday. Deron Williams had 20 points and eight assists and Brook Lopez added 16 points.
"It was passion, not effort," said Nets coach P.J. Carlesimo. "We didn't play with near the same passion that we did in the second half."
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist scored a team-high 17 points for the Bobcats, who are on an eight-game losing streak. Ben Gordon added 16 points off the bench and Kemba Walker recorded 10 points and eight assists.
"I was just trying to put in my part and be active on the boards, and on offense and defense be active," said Kidd-Gilchrist. "Unfortunately we got the loss tonight, so that (his performance) doesn't mean anything in my book."
The Nets were down 53-43 at halftime, but thanks to the combined forces of Lopez, Williams and Johnson, they would come back. The three of them scored all but two points in the third quarter.
Tied at 59-59 with 5 1/2 minutes left in the third, Williams drilled a 3- pointer to give the Nets the lead for the remainder of the contest.
After a layup by Johnson, Walker made a 3-pointer of his own to cut the deficit to 64-62 with 4:46 remaining.
However, Johnson and Lopez combined for a 7-0 run in the final minutes and the Nets had a 71-62 advantage entering the fourth quarter.
Brooklyn pulled away even further early on in the fourth, as Williams scored an additional five unanswered points to give Brooklyn a 76-62 lead with 10:47 left.
The Bobcats had trouble scoring in the fourth quarter, shooting just 6-of-20, allowing the Nets to secure the win.
Charlotte started strong, outscoring Brooklyn, 18-6, in the first six minutes of the contest. However, the Nets went on 13-2 run over the next three minutes to bring them within one, 20-19 with 3:07 to go.
Entering the second quarter, the Bobcats led 29-26.
Brooklyn shot 13-of-27 from 3-point range ... The Nets' Reggie Evans recorded 16 rebounds ... Brooklyn has won six straight games against Charlotte ... The Bobcats are 6-43 since starting the season 7-5.
- BROOKLYN: 99
Mar 6 9:17 PM
- BROOKLYN: 71
End of 3rd
Mar 6 8:45 PM
- BROOKLYN: 43
Mar 6 8:06 PM
- BROOKLYN: 26
End of 1st
Mar 6 7:34 PM
- BROOKLYN: 2
1st Quarter - 11:45
Mar 6 7:11 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29