Mavs down Pistons as Fisher debuts for DallasDec 2, 2012 - 11:54 AM Dallas, TX (Sports Network) - O.J. Mayo poured in 27 points and Elton Brand had 17 and 12 rebounds to lead the Dallas Mavericks to a 92-77 win over the Detroit Pistons on Saturday.
Vince Carter added 12 points and five assists and Chris Kaman had 10 points and nine boards for the Mavericks, who put the brakes on a three-game skid.
"There's just a real sense of urgency, we needed to get off the snide. We have lost a few games that we thought we could have won," Brand said. "Coach is giving me the opportunity to play and if I'm out there I always think I can help the team."
Derek Fisher, who signed with Dallas on Thursday, made his debut with the Mavs. The 16-year veteran had two points and three assists in just under 25 minutes of play.
"Derek Fisher solidifies the unit, he keeps us tight, and he's a proven veteran," Brand said. "There's not a shot he hasn't seen, not a defense he hasn't seen. He's very heady and very smart out there."
Brandon Knight scored 20 points and Tayshaun Prince had 12 points and five rebounds for the Pistons, who have dropped two in a row.
Jason Maxiell had 10 points and 12 rebounds, while Greg Monroe dropped in eight points to go along with a game-high 15 boards in the setback.
Detroit led 27-24 after the first quarter and took a 48-42 lead into the break.
Dallas, however, outscored the Pistons 25-11 in the third to take a 67-59 lead into the final period. Mayo scored 16 points in the frame after going 4-for-5 from 3-point range. The Mavs held the Pistons to 20 percent shooting in the stanza.
Dallas took control in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Pistons 25-18 over the final 12 minutes to lock up the win.
"We didn't get stops and they started hitting a lot of open jumpers. They became very confident and very tough to defend," Knight said.
Brand had a season-high three blocks ... Dallas was 11-for-25 from 3-point range ... There were seven ties and 14 lead changes.
- DETROIT: 77
Dec 1 11:18 PM
- DETROIT: 59
End of 3rd
Dec 1 10:53 PM
- DETROIT: 48
Dec 1 10:08 PM
- DETROIT: 27
End of 1st
Dec 1 9:41 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Dec 1 9:12 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26