Mavs edge Kings in OTJan 11, 2013 - 7:22 AM Sacramento, CA (Sports Network) - O.J. Mayo had 24 points, 10 rebounds and five assists to give Dallas a 117-112 overtime win against Sacramento on Thursday.
Vince Carter scored 23 points and added five rebounds while Shawn Marion posted 19 points with 10 rebounds for the Mavericks, who snapped a four-game slide.
"I was pretty sure before the game that this was going to go to overtime. I just had a feeling it was and I had a feeling we were going to win. I'm not surprised by any of it," Dallas head coach Rick Carlisle said.
DeMarcus Cousins scored 29 points and added nine rebounds for the Kings, who have dropped their past three games. Tyreke Evans had 20 points and seven boards off the bench in the loss.
In the extra session, Marion put in a short jumper for a 111-109 lead with under a minute to play, and Cousins was called for a flagrant foul on Carter, who hit both his shots with 41.9 left.
"Well, things happen in the heat of the battle and it's unfortunate, that it happened that way. I didn't see it happen, I just saw the guy on the floor. I won't really know what happened until I get a chance to look at the film," Kings head coach Keith Smart said of the flagrant foul.
A bad pass from Darren Collison saw Sacramento go the other way, and a foul saw Evans hit one of his two from the stripe. Marion answered with two of his own with 22.8 left, but Evans got them back on a shot with 16.3 left.
Carter then missed both of his attempts at the other end at the foul line, but Isaiah Thomas missed a 3-pointer at the other end.
Mayo's two free throws with 8.2 to play sealed the win.
A 10-2 run in the first quarter saw Dallas take a 16-13 lead after Marion capped the burst with a 3-pointer, but Sacramento countered with a 10-4 burst and took a 25-23 lead into the second quarter.
The Kings made some space with 13 unanswered points in the second quarter as Evans finished the run with a three-point play for a 42-29 advantage with 5 1/2 minutes left.
The Mavericks, though, followed that with the next nine points to keep it close, and Sacramento eventually took a 49-42 lead into the break.
Sacramento scored the first seven points of the third, including three makes from Francisco Garcia from the stripe, and led by 17 later in the frame after Garcia put in a 3-pointer for a 71-54 lead with under four minutes to play.
Dallas got the next seven points to get back within 10 and that was the deficit heading into the fourth quarter as the Kings held a 78-68 lead after 36 minutes of play.
The Mavs rallied and led by five with under a minute to play in regulation after Marion hit two from the line, but John Salmons answered with a 3- pointer. After Mayo hit just 1-of-2 from the line, Thomas buried a long three with 9.1 to play to tie the contest.
Dallas hosts Memphis on Saturday ... The Kings host the Heat on Saturday ... The Mavericks have won three straight over the Kings ... Thomas scored 18 points in the loss ... Dallas dominated the glass, 52-41, and shot 42.7 percent compared to 49.4 percent from the Kings.
- DALLAS: 117
Final - OT
Jan 11 1:00 AM
- DALLAS: 101
End of Regulation
Jan 11 12:38 AM
- DALLAS: 68
End of 3rd
Jan 10 11:52 PM
- DALLAS: 42
Jan 10 11:05 PM
- DALLAS: 23
End of 1st
Jan 10 10:35 PM
- DALLAS: 0
1st Quarter - 11:45
Jan 10 10:10 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26