Balanced attack helps Mavs down HoustonJan 17, 2013 - 5:12 AM Houston Rockets, 105-100, on Wednesday at American Airlines Center.
Shawn Marion and O.J. Mayo scored 18 points apiece, Elton Brand added 11 and Darren Collison and Jae Crowder each netted 10 for the Mavs, winners of four straight.
"Our defense was poor, we kept putting them on the free throw line, but we made plays," said Dallas coach Rick Carlisle. " We did what we needed to do to win. It was a tough game."
James Harden scored 20 points, Jeremy Lin added 19 and Chandler Parsons donated 18 points the for the Rockets, who have dropped a season-high five straight.
"They did a great job of protecting the rim, and we got in the paint and had a few that either got blocked or that we missed," Lin said. "They also got to the foul line a lot down the stretch, and they were in the bonus and did a good job of attacking us."
Dallas led 80-73 entering the fourth quarter and opened the frame with an 11-7 sequence to push its lead to 91-80 with just under eight minutes remaining.
Houston, though, countered with a 14-4 burst capped by a Lin 3-pointer to pull to within 95-94 with 3:40 remaining.
After Nowitzki's step-back jumper made it 97-94, Harden sunk a pair of free throws and Lin added one from the stripe to tie the game at with just 1:50 to play.
The Mavs, though, went 8-for-8 from the line down the stretch while holding the Rockets to just three points to seal the win.
Dallas smothered Houston defensively early on, forcing nine turnovers in the first quarter and holding the Rockets to 31.6 percent (6-for-19) shooting from the floor to take a 29-18 lead into the second period.
The Rockets outscored the Mavs, 26-23, in the second to cut the deficit to 52-44 at the break. Harden, Parsons and Omer Asik each scored six points in the third frame to pull Houston within 80-73 entering the final 12 minutes.
The Mavericks will host Oklahoma City on Friday ... Harden has scored at least 20 points in 22 straight games ... Asik finished with 15 rebounds along with 12 points ... The Rockets will face the Indiana Pacers on Friday.
- HOUSTON: 100
Jan 16 10:46 PM
- HOUSTON: 100
End of Regulation
Jan 16 10:46 PM
- HOUSTON: 73
End of 3rd
Jan 16 9:59 PM
- HOUSTON: 44
Jan 16 9:11 PM
- HOUSTON: 18
End of 1st
Jan 16 8:36 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:41
Jan 16 8:11 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26