Nowitzki and Marion lead Mavs over RocketsMar 7, 2013 - 6:30 AM Dallas Mavericks' 112-108 win over the Houston Rockets.
O.J. Mayo added 13 points, a career-high 12 assists and six rebounds for Dallas, which had dropped four of its last five contests coming in.
The Mavericks have won six in a row against Houston in Big D and improved to 23-2 when Nowitzki scores at least 15 points.
James Harden was 16-of-16 from the line and finished with 28 points for the Rockets, who had won four of their past six tilts prior to the opening tip.
"Harden had a lot of points, but at the end of the game Shawn (Marion) was the guy who got the key stops," Mavs head coach Rick Carlisle said.
Houston trailed by as many as 11 in the third, but a Harden 3-pointer at the top of the key gave the Rockets their first lead, 104-102, since the latter stages of the second with 3:41 to go in the fourth.
Mayo quickly answered with a triple and jumper on back-to-back Dallas possessions before Nowitzki knocked down a jumper to give the Mavs a 109-104 edge with 1:51 remaining.
Four straight Harden foul shots pulled the visitors within a point, and the Rockets regained possession down 110-108 with 49.9 to go after Marion split a pair from the stripe.
Harden came up short on a step-back trey with 28.5 ticks on the clock, but Houston got the ball back after it went out of bounds off Dallas. But Harden's ensuing drive at the hoop was defended well by Brandan Wright and Darren Collison sunk two foul shots to seal the win for the Mavs.
"I thought we put ourselves in a position to win. It's one that we let slip away," Houston forward Chandler Parsons, who scored a career-high 32 against Dallas Sunday, said.
Dallas jumped out to a 34-25 advantage after one before the Rockets outscored the Mavs 31-26 in the second to head into the break down, 60-56. Dallas headed into the fourth with an 87-83 cushion.
Dallas turned the ball over just 11 times and recorded 35 assists on 45 made field goals ... Vince Carter added 16 points and seven boards off the bench for the Mavs.
- HOUSTON: 108
Mar 6 11:11 PM
- HOUSTON: 108
End of Regulation
Mar 6 11:11 PM
- HOUSTON: 83
End of 3rd
Mar 6 10:27 PM
- HOUSTON: 59
Mar 6 9:37 PM
- HOUSTON: 25
End of 1st
Mar 6 9:05 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:47
Mar 6 8:42 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26