Mavs fall to Suns, eliminated from playoff contentionApr 11, 2013 - 6:49 AM Phoenix Suns to a 102-91 win over the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday.
P.J. Tucker and Luis Scola added double doubles for the Suns, who had dropped 10 straight games entering the contest.
Tucker finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds and Scola added 11 points and 15 boards. Wesley Johnson poured in 17 points despite being held scoreless in the second half.
"I thought we moved the ball really well. We shared the ball. We made the right play. Wes Johnson was phenomenal in the first half. Jared Dudley came off the bench and did a great job," Suns coach Lindsey Hunter said. "P.J. (Tucker) was extraordinary tonight; I think it's the first time he's hit 3 threes since we've been here, (and) defensively he was excellent. Everybody played well that played."
Shawn Marion scored a game-high 22 points and pulled down nine rebounds and Dirk Nowitzki added 21 points and eight boards for the Mavericks, who were eliminated from playoff contention following the Lakers 113-106 win over the Portland Trail Blazers.
"I guess we just under estimated them tonight and they came in here and got a win. They were on a 10-game losing streak I think and they played a back to back last night and came in here and won," Marion said.
It is just the first time Dallas will miss the playoffs since the 1999-00 season.
Dragic led Phoenix offensively in the first, netting 11 points in the frame on 5-of-6 shooting. The Suns trailed 10-9 with 8:15 remaining, but used a 19-4 burst to go up 28-14. Dallas scored the final seven points of the period, making it 28-21.
The Mavs outscored Phoenix, 15-7, over the first 4:10 of the second to take a 36-35 lead, but the Suns countered with a 19-5 burst to go up 54-41, and the visitors led 61-51 at the break.
Dallas opened the second half on a 12-2 swing to tie the game, but Dragic halted the run with a trey to give the Suns a 66-63 edge. The Suns would score the next nine points and took an 81-71 edge into the fourth.
Marion's hook shot pulled Dallas within four, 91-87, with 2:45 left. The Suns, though, opened a 9-2 surge to take a 100-89 lead with 47 seconds to seal the victory.
Jared Dudley scored 17 for the Suns ... Dallas outscored Phoenix 40-32 in the paint ... The Suns went 12-for-27 from 3-point range ... Vince Carter was the only other Mavericks player in double figures with 18 points.
- PHOENIX: 102
Apr 10 10:56 PM
- PHOENIX: 81
End of 3rd
Apr 10 10:13 PM
- PHOENIX: 61
Apr 10 9:33 PM
- PHOENIX: 28
End of 1st
Apr 10 9:05 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Apr 10 8:41 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26
- Mejri, Lee out for Dallas against Oklahoma City playoff game Apr 25
- Face of fracas? Durant says testy playoffs just part of game Apr 25