Nene powers Wizards over NetsFeb 9, 2013 - 5:53 AM
Nene had half of his points during a dominant second quarter, when the Wizards held a 30-11 scoring advantage. John Wall added 15 points and nine assists and Martell Webster dropped in 16 points for the Wizards, who have won three straight games for just the second time all season.
"We are finally trusting each other and playing hard. We are really going strong on the defensive end and moving the ball to make big time shots," Wall said.
Deron Williams scored 20 points, Joe Johnson scored 14 and Brook Lopez added 13, but the trio finished just 16-for-43 from the field.
The Nets fell to a team with a record below .500 for just the second time this season.
The Nets kept it close over the first 12 minutes, trailing by no more than four in the period, and went into the second frame down 21-20.
Washington, though, opened the second on a 16-1 run to take a 37-21 lead. Webster's trey at the 2:50 mark pushed the spread over 20 at 45-24, and the Wizards took a 51-31 lead into the break. The Nets shot 4-of-22 from the field in the second quarter.
"We just didn't have that continuity, we weren't on the same page," Johnson said of the second quarter. "They made a run and we couldn't bounce back from it for whatever reason."
Brooklyn made up ground in the third, outscoring Washington 22-14 in the quarter, to go into the final stage trailing 66-53. The Nets scored 11 points off of six Wizards' turnovers and held Washington to just 33.3 percent (6- for-18) shooting from the floor in the period.
The Nets managed to cut the deficit to 11, 69-58, early in the fourth, but Webster buried a trey to ignite a 20-13 swing.
Washington has won eight of its last nine games at Verizon Center ... The Nets are 18-2 against teams below .500 ... Brooklyn fell to 15-7 under interim head coach P.J. Carlesimo ... The Nets struggled shooting all night, going 25-for-76 (32.9 percent) from the field, 5-for-18 (27.8 percent) from 3-point range. They were a dismal 19-for-32 (59.4 percent) from the free throw line.
- BROOKLYN: 74
Feb 8 9:19 PM
- BROOKLYN: 53
End of 3rd
Feb 8 8:49 PM
- BROOKLYN: 31
Feb 8 8:07 PM
- BROOKLYN: 20
End of 1st
Feb 8 7:35 PM
- BROOKLYN: 0
1st Quarter - 11:43
Feb 8 7:12 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21
- Nets hire Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson as new coach Apr 17
- Company of Russian owner of Brooklyn Nets searched in Moscow Apr 15