Nuggets shine again at home, shut down NetsMar 30, 2013 - 5:20 AM
Fournier received a surplus of minutes with Ty Lawson out of the lineup and took advantage, making 6-of-9 shots from the field. Lawson sat with a plantar fascia tear in his right heel, but is considered day-to-day.
"Our job is to get as high of a seed as possible, and whatever the injury situation, I think most people are fairly optimistic [Ty Lawson] will be fine," said Denver coach George Karl. "I don't think we should have anything in our head, except to try and win every game, and maybe the last game of the season think about resting the team if everything is solidified."
The Nuggets had lost two in row on the heels of winning 15 straight, but continue to find success at the Pepsi Center, where they have won 18 in a row. Wilson Chandler had 16 points, with Corey Brewer and Kosta Koufos each scoring 13.
Brooklyn fell to 4-2 on its eight-game road trip, trailing by double digits the entire second half on Friday. Deron Williams scored 19 and Reggie Evans finished with 15 points and 16 boards in defeat.
"We didn't play as well as we have been playing but Denver had a lot to do with that," said Nets coach P.J. Carlesimo.
Denver turned a 26-23 first quarter lead into a blowout by halftime, thanks in large part to a 12-0 run started and capped on scores from Danilo Gallinari, whose 17-foot jumper put the Nuggets ahead 45-28.
The Nets were just 4-for-16 in the quarter and committed seven turnovers, which turned into nine points for the Nuggets. Denver led 55-38 at the break.
The margin swelled to 22 points just over three minutes into the third on JaVale McGee's short jumper, and while the Nets were able to cut the deficit to 80-66 on a C.J. Watson 3-pointer at the end of the quarter, they wouldn't get much closer.
After the Nets pulled within 12 just under four minutes into the final frame, Fournier added a pair of driving scores to a 9-2 push, creating a 95-76 lead.
Brooklyn only came as close as 17 points the rest of the way. With the loss, it now trails the New York Knicks by 3 1/2 games for the Atlantic Division lead.
Brook Lopez had 11 points and seven rebounds for Brooklyn ... The Nuggets controlled the fastbreak by a 26-2 margin ... Denver scored 62 points in the paint.
- BROOKLYN: 87
Mar 29 11:29 PM
- BROOKLYN: 66
End of 3rd
Mar 29 10:57 PM
- BROOKLYN: 38
Mar 29 10:09 PM
- BROOKLYN: 23
End of 1st
Mar 29 9:32 PM
- BROOKLYN: 0
1st Quarter - 11:50
Mar 29 9:11 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Nets hire Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson as new coach Apr 17
- Company of Russian owner of Brooklyn Nets searched in Moscow Apr 15
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Tough season and more tough times ahead for the Nets Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14