Howard, Lakers rout KingsNov 12, 2012 - 5:54 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Lakers already have more wins under Bernie Bickerstaff than they did with Mike Brown at the helm this season.
With rumors swirling that Phil Jackson could return to the team with whom he won five of his 11 NBA titles with, Dwight Howard tallied 23 points and 18 rebounds in the Lakers' 103-90 rout of the Sacramento Kings.
Brown was 1-4 when he was relieved of his duties Friday and Los Angeles is 2-0 under its interim coach Bickerstaff.
"There's a lot of things going on, but we're still capable of going out there and winning basketball games," Los Angeles forward Pau Gasol said.
Kobe Bryant had 20 points, while Metta World Peace and Gasol chipped in 18 points apiece for the Lakers, who have won three of four since beginning the year with three straight losses.
"The effort was there, we were trying to share the basketball with each other. Kobe did a nice job of getting people involved," Bickerstaff said.
Jason Thompson had 15 points and 10 boards for Sacramento, which has dropped two in a row.
"They showed some fight, overall we did a pretty good job," Kings head coach Keith Smart said.
The Lakers took a 77-66 advantage into the fourth and the lead grew after the home team netted the first 12 points of the final frame.
Howard had five points during the run, which was capped when he split a pair from the foul line for an 89-66 Lakers advantage with 7:28 remaining.
Los Angeles led 29-22 after a quarter of play before Bryant and Howard registered 11 and nine points, respectively, as the home team took a 57-48 margin into the break.
The Lakers outrebounded the Kings, 50-39 ... Los Angeles shot 44.4 percent (36-of-81) from the floor, while Sacramento finished 40 percent (36-of-90) from the field ... The NBA suspended the Kings' DeMarcus Cousins for two games on Sunday. The Sacramento center was disciplined for confronting Spurs announcer Sean Elliot in a hostile manner following Friday's loss.
- SACRAMENTO: 90
LOS ANGELES: 103
Nov 11 11:57 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 66
LOS ANGELES: 79
End of 3rd
Nov 11 11:19 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 48
LOS ANGELES: 57
Nov 11 10:37 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 22
LOS ANGELES: 29
End of 1st
Nov 11 10:05 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 11:59
Nov 11 9:42 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9