Lakers down SunsFeb 13, 2013 - 7:04 AM
He went the entire first half without a field goal attempt and then didn't make his first shot until 2:10 was left in the game.
Bryant netted just four points, but dished out nine assists -- eight in the opening 24 minutes -- in the Los Angeles Lakers' 91-85 triumph over the Phoenix Suns.
Bryant, who went without scoring in double figures for the first time this season, was 1-of-8 from the field and 0-of-4 from beyond the arc. He last had zero field goals in a game in 2001.
"I thought it was great actually," Bryant said of his stats. "I'm trying to make the right play and keep everyone involved."
The 15-time All-Star totaled 39 assists during a three-game span prior to a seven-game road trip in which Bryant registered eight-or-more helpers in four of those contests.
Dwight Howard recorded 19 points and 18 rebounds for Los Angeles, which has won eight of its last 11 tilts. Steve Nash had 10 points and eight assists against his former team in the win.
Michael Beasley finished with 18 points to lead the Suns, who have dropped four in a row and eight of their last 10 games.
The Lakers led 56-47 at the break, but scored just nine points in the third and trailed, 71-65, heading into the fourth.
Los Angeles, though, used a 13-2 run to seize control in the final frame.
Metta World Peace poured in the first five points during the surge, which was capped when Antawn Jamison put back Bryant's airball for an 81-75 edge with 5:41 left.
Phoenix never got closer than four the rest of the way.
"They were able to get offensive rebounds down the stretch and we paid for it," Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter said.
Earlier, the Lakers took a 30-22 cushion going into the second.
Bryant attempted zero field goals in the first half for the first time since March 5, 2004, when he left the tilt in the first minute due to an injury ... Los Angeles has won six of its last seven home games.
- PHOENIX: 85
LOS ANGELES: 91
Feb 13 12:55 AM
- PHOENIX: 71
LOS ANGELES: 65
End of 3rd
Feb 13 12:21 AM
- PHOENIX: 47
LOS ANGELES: 56
Feb 12 11:36 PM
- PHOENIX: 22
LOS ANGELES: 30
End of 1st
Feb 12 11:07 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
LOS ANGELES: 2
1st Quarter - 11:43
Feb 12 10:42 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kobe Bryant's animated short gets assist from John Williams May 5