Curry leads Warriors to rare win over LakersMar 26, 2013 - 6:23 AM
Curry had 25 points and 10 assists in the Golden State Warriors' 109-103 win over the Los Angeles Lakers.
The Warriors have won six of their last eight games with Curry averaging 30.2 points per game while shooting 59.6 percent from beyond the arc in the five prior victories during the stretch coming in. Curry was 3-of-9 from 3-point range Monday.
Curry was questionable prior to the start of the contest due to a right ankle sprain that he suffered during the fourth quarter of a win over the Washington Wizards on Saturday.
David Lee tallied 23 points and 12 rebounds, while Klay Thompson added 22 points for Golden State, which defeated the Lakers for just the second time in its last 20 tries.
"We are the better basketball team," Warriors head coach Mark Jackson said. "They are in the rear view mirror and I have not checked it and I will not."
Kobe Bryant netted 36 points, while Dwight Howard finished with 11 points and 15 boards for the Lakers, who have dropped three in a row and four of their last six tilts.
"We're trying to get into the playoffs right now. That's more of a disappointment," Lakers head coach Mike D'Antoni said. "But we still have time to figure it out. Still have time to get into the playoffs, still have time to make an impact. But time is running out."
Curry and Lee had four points apiece during an 11-2 first-quarter run that propelled Golden State to a 21-10 lead.
The Warriors took a 28-16 advantage after a period of play and netted seven of the first nine points of the second to build a 37-18 cushion with 9:52 in the second before taking a 63-40 edge into the break.
Back-to-back 3-pointers by Thompson and Curry pushed the spread to 75-50 with 8:32 left in the third. The Warriors led 94-76 after three and the Lakers never seriously threatened until the closing seconds.
The Lakers are still 32-5 against Golden State over the last 37 meetings between the squads ... Jarrett Jack registered 19 points for Golden State ... Curry was 9-of-24 from the field.
- LOS ANGELES: 103
GOLDEN STATE: 109
Mar 26 1:00 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 76
GOLDEN STATE: 94
End of 3rd
Mar 26 12:24 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 40
GOLDEN STATE: 63
Mar 25 11:37 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 16
GOLDEN STATE: 28
End of 1st
Mar 25 11:04 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 2
GOLDEN STATE: 0
1st Quarter - 11:41
Mar 25 10:42 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20