Hornets snap home slide in win over SpursJan 8, 2013 - 4:15 AM New Orleans, LA (Sports Network) - Eric Gordon scored a game-high 24 points and the New Orleans Hornets snapped a six-game losing streak to the Spurs with a 95-88 victory over San Antonio.
Rookie Anthony Davis tallied 17 points and nine rebounds and Greivis Vasquez finished with 14 points and 11 assists to help the Hornets end a seven-game slide at home.
"It was a huge win for us," said Vasquez, who spoke highly of Gordon's play. "I thought we played great together. Eric is a great dude and a great player. He's really going to help us. It was a great team effort and a great win for us."
Manu Ginobili led the Spurs with 21 points and Tony Parker followed with 16. Tim Duncan chipped in with 13 points and eight boards for San Antonio, which has dropped six of its past eight road games.
"We played a well-coached, aggressive, well executing team," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "They did a great job at both ends of the court, they just whipped us."
New Orleans led a fairly close game 49-41 through the first half, but created some separation late in the third quarter.
Following a Parker jumper to pull the Spurs within 57-51, Gordon followed a Vazquez triple with a layup to cap a 10-2 Hornets push, giving New Orleans a 14-point edge with 3:18 to play in the third.
The Spurs closed the gap to 70-65 by the end of the quarter, but Brian Roberts and Ryan Anderson opened the fourth with back-to-back 3-pointers to bump the Hornets' lead back to double-digits.
Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard answered several minutes later with triples before Gary Neal cut the Spurs' deficit to three with a jumper, but they never came any closer.
Gordon scored the next six points for the Hornets with jump shots and Vazquez's layup with 2:08 to go put New Orleans back on top 92-81 to all but seal the victory. .
The Hornets won back-to-back games for the first time since Nov. 2-3, 2012 ... New Orleans has failed to score 100 points in 12 straight games ... San Antonio was outrebounded by New Orleans 42-32 ... The Hornets converted 19 Spurs turnovers into 23 points.
- SAN ANTONIO: 88
NEW ORLEANS: 95
Jan 7 10:15 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 65
NEW ORLEANS: 70
End of 3rd
Jan 7 9:47 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 41
NEW ORLEANS: 49
Jan 7 9:06 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 19
NEW ORLEANS: 24
End of 1st
Jan 7 8:33 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 11:38
Jan 7 8:11 PM
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 11