Kings throttle Magic to halt road slideFeb 28, 2013 - 3:01 AM
The Kings pushed Miami to double-overtime on Tuesday, and one night later snapped a season-high six-game losing streak.
Tyreke Evans contributed 17 points and seven assists for the Kings, who also received 13 points apiece from DeMarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson and Jimmer Fredette.
"All these guys were very, very fresh. These guys played a decent game last night. Slowly and methodically we've been playing good basketball. We finally put it all together here tonight." Kings coach Keith Smart said.
The Magic failed to build on a 14-point win at Philadelphia the night before and lost for the sixth time in seven contests. Tobias Harris led the way with a career-best 23 points for Orlando, which also got 15 points from Arron Afflalo and 14 from Beno Udrih.
"It was going to boil down to penetration and keeping the ball in front of us. It was a tough task tonight," Magic coach Jacque Vaughn said.
The first half of this game told the story. The Kings shot 62.2 percent, while the Magic struggled at a 35.7 percent clip over the opening 24 minutes.
E'Twaun Moore's 3-pointer boosted the Magic to a 13-7 advantage three minutes into the game, but Sacramento used a 29-7 spurt to take command. Fredette capped the burst with a jumper inside of a minute left in the quarter.
The Kings held a 36-22 cushion moving to the second and continued to pull away. The margin reached 21 at 56-35 on Patterson's layup with 4:46 remaining in the half. The visitors were comfortably in front, 67-44, at the break.
Sacramento's lead reached as high as 33 in the second half, at 96-63 with 1:45 left in the third quarter.
The Kings are 1-3 on their road trip, which concludes at San Antonio on Friday ... This was Sacramento's second win in the last 10 meetings against Orlando, but the Kings swept the season series, winning 91-82 on Dec. 7 in California ... Orlando guard Jameer Nelson (left patella contusion) missed his fourth straight game ... Sacramento moved to 6-26 on the road ... Salmons and Fredette combined to go 7-of-9 from 3-point range.
- SACRAMENTO: 125
Feb 27 9:23 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 98
End of 3rd
Feb 27 8:52 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 67
Feb 27 8:08 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 36
End of 1st
Feb 27 7:39 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:47
Feb 27 7:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28